Thread: Any Acoustisonic Mods out there?

Neophyte

Any Acoustisonic Mods out there?

I have one of the older Fender Acoustisonic SFX amps, 80 watts. It is O.K., but have never bonded with it.I just sounds sterile with little character. Got it as a Christmas gift a long time ago. It just sits off to itself. I've decided to try to make it into something I can use or I'm going to sell it. I would rather try to make it better. First of all the pots are scratchy from sitting. What to use or do to remedy the problem? Second anything else someone has done either electronically or speaker wise to improve the sound? I have several acoustics- Martins and I use a Bill Lawrence sound hole pickup. I am not one to drill holes or modify high end guitars like these except nuts, saddles, tuners, ect. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't have much advice to offer as far as the amp goes, but hope you get it sorted out. I've only ever seen an Acoustasonic amp once, used and in a music store, but it looked like a well made amp. Don't they have some kind of side-firing driver arrangement? If so, replacing the speaker might be a bit unpredictable.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Neophyte
    Thanks. Yeah, it has a two speaker set up that gives a stereophonic effect when a button is depressed. One speaker on the front and one on the side. The amp weighs as much as a Volkswagon nearly.

Interesting you don't like that amp.

I use one very often because you can run mics into it. That said, I don't love it for my guitar, but I really like this amp, despite it being SS...

Neophyte
    My thoughts exactly. It's meant to be a singer/songwriter type of rig. I'll try playing around with it, maybe a boost pedal or EQ and if something works out I'll let you know.

worst case just use it as a mini PA for the gigs where you need a vocals mic but it isn't worth lugging the full setup around...