Thread: Bass ukulele

Bass ukulele

I tried one of these at a store--lots of fun to play--the strings do feel like gummy worms in a way (as the review says)
    Anybody else try one of these?
    What do you think?
    I don't know about getting spare strings though-
    Ukulele bass review
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Son of a gun, a bass that's shorter than my 25.5" scale Tele! A couple of things that I'm curious about, that I didn't see mentioned (or maybe I missed it)......I wonder what gauges the strings are, and I'd like to know what tuning is used.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I played on a Guild Ashbory bass years ago. This reminds me of that a lot.

A surprisingly nice-sounding bass. The silicone strings felt weird, but the tone was great.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    I played on a Guild Ashbory bass years ago. This reminds me of that a lot.

A surprisingly nice-sounding bass. The silicone strings felt weird, but the tone was great.
    It looks odd, but I'd like to try it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

That's an interesting bass that I've never seen before, TB. Somebody was thinking outside the box when they designed that one. Are they neck-heavy?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

No, but only because the strap attaches at the headstock.

I tried one (I mean one like the Kala ZT started this thread with) in a music-store last year. I had already read about them and was eager to encounter one. I had read an interview with Sheryl Crow's bass player. He uses one in the show for a tune or two. I have also read that you can get a pretty good upright sound out of these little guys.

The strings are different from what we are used to, but I still felt as though I were playing a musical instrument. And I felt more like I was playing a miniature upright than a small acoustic bass guitar. The attack and decay of the notes had a lot to do with this, I think. We have an upright here. I don't play it a lot, but I know what that "thunk, thunk" feels like against your chest.

The store was in Germany, and I won't be able to try it again for while. If I was working as a bass player, this might be my traveling instrument.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    If I was working as a bass player, this might be my traveling instrument.
    There ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I tried one (I mean one like the Kala ZT started this thread with) in a music-store last year. I had already read about them and was eager to encounter one. I had read an interview with Sheryl Crow's bass player. He uses one in the show for a tune or two. I have also read that you can get a pretty good upright sound out of these little guys.

The strings are different from what we are used to, but I still felt as though I were playing a musical instrument. And I felt more like I was playing a miniature upright than a small acoustic bass guitar. The attack and decay of the notes had a lot to do with this, I think. We have an upright here. I don't play it a lot, but I know what that "thunk, thunk" feels like against your chest.

The store was in Germany, and I won't be able to try it again for while. If I was working as a bass player, this might be my traveling instrument.
    I agree...
    It's fun, it really works...