Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody ID this?

Can anybody ID this?

This is the guitar I mentioned in another thread that I got to play yesterday. It has no headstock logo or sticker attached inside the body. Can anybody tell me what brand or possibly what vintage this is?

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    This is the guitar I mentioned in another thread that I got to play yesterday. It has no headstock logo or sticker attached inside the body. Can anybody tell me what brand or possibly what vintage this is?
    No idea on he brand--but chances are it was a budget model based on the tailpiece.
    There are exceptions, but typically that kind of tailpiece was used on cheaper acoustics as it was easier to install & took less time (& thus cheaper)

Is the bridge fixed to the top? Or is it floating like on an archtop?

Or is this actually an archtop that looks like a flat top?

I will take a stab and say it is pre 1975
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Hope you're wrong about the value. I'm assuming entry-level stuff isn't that collectible, and I know my buddy spent a lot of dough getting it fixed. It's a flat-top....The bridge originally was floating, but is now pinned.

Hope you're wrong about the value. I'm assuming entry-level stuff isn't that collectible, and I know my buddy spent a lot of dough getting it fixed. It's a flat-top....The bridge originally was floating, but is now pinned.
    Like I said--there were exceptions.

But even the cheaper entry level stuff can still have a high value in the market--sometimes more than the stuff that was more expensive to start with.

Some old Harmonys & Kays go for a good chunk of change.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Judging by the body shape and such, it reminds me of my Hopf guitar from Germany, made in the 50s.

The back of the neck and headstock reminds me of an unplayable guitar that I had in the 70s that was already at least 20 years old.

The dot markers though, make me think that it may have been made in the 70s. Can you get some more pictures next visit?
    Close-ups of the dot markers, and the tuners from the side?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Yeah, the pictures leave something to be desired. My buddy took those ones with his cell phone, but if I'm heading back there, I'll bring one of my cameras.

I could be wrong but dot markers on the fretboard would be VERY unusual for a really fine quality classical guitar. The tailpiece/ bridge combo is a surprising modification.

I'm also thinking this is a cheaper model. But I could be wrong

I browsed online last night and found this 1930's Concertone parlour guitar.

Not the same thing, but it's interesting that it appears to be the same bridge as my friend's. Another source says this style of bridge was used on a lot of Kay, Harmony, and Stella guitars in the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I could be wrong but dot markers on the fretboard would be VERY unusual for a really fine quality classical guitar. The tailpiece/ bridge combo is a surprising modification.

I'm also thinking this is a cheaper model. But I could be wrong
    I'm betting this is a steel-string. The old guitar I had in the 70s had this head-stock / tuner configuration and it was steel-string.
    It just appeared at our cottage and became my cottage guitar, even though as I said it was unplayable.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I browsed online last night and found this 1930's Concertone parlour guitar.

Not the same thing, but it's interesting that it appears to be the same bridge as my friend's. Another source says this style of bridge was used on a lot of Kay, Harmony, and Stella guitars in the 50's.
    A lot of the bargain guitars had them, which makes me suspect a lower end one.

I once read a book on flat top acoustic guitars where it described guitars with that sort of tailpiece & a non fixed bridge as a "Waste of good plywood."

Again there are exceptions, but they would be exceptions.