Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Find dB an acoustic guitar!

Find dB an acoustic guitar!

Okay so now the time is right for me to take the leap and buy an acoustic guitar. Perhaps someone here could throw out some suggestions.

As I said on another thread, my time in Germany forced me to play an almost unplayable Tenson dreadnought for a couple weeks and despite my intense dislike for the guitar, I can clearly see that I'd like a decent acoustic in the house. Now the question is what.

I am an archtop guy with my electrics but I am not certain that an acoustic archtop would have adequate sound output like a dreadnought, but I have little experience with acoustics. The guitar could be new or used but I'd like to keep it under $2500.

Here's what I know I want:
    Well made but not necessarily with fancy inlays- I don't really put a value on things that don't improve playability or sound.
    Non-cutaway and large body
    Big and loud sound, but not too bright and twangy

One thing to bear in mind is the climate in NJ- in Summer the humidity is very high, almost tropical, but in the winter the humidity is often near 0%. This could be a concern over the long term with the top cracking. My current archtops are all laminated bodies.

What suggestions do you guys have?

dB

Keep in mind that in the Big Band era, guitarists used archtops that were high in the mid-range and high end, to be heard in the band. But in your situation, you might want a bassier sound with all the horns you have playing. You can get Baritone acoustics, which would provide much more of the bass you may need.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

hmmm a baritone acoustic? I have never even heard of that!

Would this be a guitar that you'd play out, or is it a stay at home instrument? Seems to me that what gets recommended might be different depending on what you're going to use it for.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Your tastes & use may vary--but Taylor has some real nice stuff in your price range
    The Godin brands (Especially Simon & Patrick and Seagull) would also fit the bill for me.
    The acoustics are made in Quebec(-although some Godin electrics are made in he US with parts made in Canada)
    So maybe they can stand the climate you have.

But get a room humidifier & a case one.

of course maybe those electrics aren't to your liking.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I guess the guitar could be for occasionally playing out but since an acoustic doesn't really fit the vibe of the group it would probably be played home more than anything else. To play it out would require amplification, which would not simplify anything in our band setup.

Martin and Taylors would probably be towards the top and maybe (gasp) Gibsons. I've never actually owned a Gibson! I'd have to look into Godins- the only ones I have played were in the $600-800 range and although they were good instruments, they were really not professional quality where I would want to play them on stage. That said a $2000 Godin would have to be a huge step up from the lower models. But I am not sure if they do an acoustic in this range.

They make great stuff across a range of prices...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I checked Sweetwater and I don't think Godin makes a non-electric guitar. They have some acoustics but all have pickups which I really don't want.

Probably Gibson, Taylor or Martin are the top contenders- no opinions on any of them?

I Love my Taylor 214. It gives me everything I would ask from an acoustic. Having said that I recently played a Custom shop Gibson J45 That I have seen selling around the 3000 dollar Canadian mark Which would bring the price down to your top end. I will say for me personally that it was the most wonderful sounding acoustic I have ever played. It had the dreadnought bottom end but it was able to produce a mid & higher range that you would get with a high quality Folk or even a parlor . I have never played one that had such a complete tone pallet. There was a richness as I had my ear above the sound hole that I myself have never experienced & I have played a lot of higher priced guitars then that one. There was a magic about it. Of coarse your ear may demand something else. If it were me I would buy used. With a couple grand you could pick up a guitar that cost twice that. That's just me.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

I can't speak to playability, but my buddy's Martin D18 is much nicer sounding than either of his Gibsons.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."