Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Silk & Steel

D'Addario Silk & Steel

Has anyone ever tried these strings? I put a set on a friend's guitar a couple of months ago, and couldn't believe how slinky they felt. I have been looking for them ever since, and found some in one of our local music stores today. I put them on one of my guitars that has more tension than I like, and it immediately became much more playable. First thing I played (or attempted, lol) was an Al di Meola tune.

They did not have 12's. This is all they had. I will try 12's whenever I find them. But for now I am very happy.

These strings are more expensive than other strings, but they are worth it, especially for this guitar.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I like darker tones- I don't like when my acoustics are too bright.

Are you sure that the increased playbility is not due to the lighter gauge, DW?

No, very sure. I have had 11's on this guitar before, and they were very likely 11's that I took off. I just wanted 12's because I knew these strings would be more "rubbery".
    I played both my friend's guitar and my guitar for a while, before swapping strings. Night and day from my regular strings to the silk & steel strings.

The stores around here can't keep these strings in stock because they are magic.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Interesting!

I dont have an acoustic, but my wife was asking for one on the next guitar purchase. I'll try this set when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ...my wife was asking for one on the next guitar purchase...
    She's a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    She's a keeper!
    Yes she is!!! But shes also asking for another beagle. My goodness, I cant barely keep up with my 1 beagle now. how much more 2 beagle dogs. I wont be able to play my guitars!

Depending on the guitar & the sound you're after these can be real nice strings.
    I prefer phosphor bronze on a steel string--but then for a warmer sound I have my classical
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I forgot to mention that the tension on these strings is sufficiently different that I had to tweak the truss rod, as the action was lowered enough to cause fret buzz. And this was with (I'm pretty sure) the same gauge strings.

Something I noticed playing the guitar live -
    Since 90% of my shows lately are with my nylon-string Ortega, when I played this particular steel-string for an hour, my fingers took a real beating. But playing it with the silk and steel strings, it feels a lot more like my nylon string. The strings (especially the wound ones) are as easy to bend as on my nylon-string.

Also, I pulled apart the end of one of the wound strings. It is a thin metal core, wrapped with nylon, then wrapped with metal. So similar to wound string in a nylon set, but with a metal core.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    when I played this particular steel-string for an hour, my fingers took a real beating.
    Man you had better start playing/ practicing more with full metal strings again!