Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Advice Needed

must be interesting to play a mandolin if you can play violin

Well the strings are the same--so you know where the notes are...
    But some difference in technique--but it can work well for bluegrass players on fiddle & mandolin
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

dB, I have several ukuleles, as I use them in my Hawaiian show.
    My favourite (and the largest non-baritone) is a tenor with pickup/preamp/tuner made by Cordoba. I highly recommend you consider buying this uke.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cordoba-Acous.../dp/B001IKBM62

Spell might like it, as the neck is a bit wider than other ukes, and the frets are not so close together.
    (Kind of like playing at the 8th fret of a guitar, rather than at the 12th fret.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71-t1f8SXJL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	3975  
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thanks for posting DW- I think she wants a concert size but I will throw that option to her.

And if she has her heart set on a concert size, Cordoba's concert verion of thiat uke is right in the price range at $170

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...Cordoba's concert verion of thiat uke is right in the price range at $170
    Does it have a pickup etc? I strongly suggest you get one that she can eventually plug in.
    Plus - the tuner. I think making stringed instruments without built-in tuners should be outlawed by now.
    (And yes, I am including electrics. Why the heck has nobody started putting tuners into the top horn of an electric, right where the controls for an acoustic's electronics are?)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Does it have a pickup etc? I strongly suggest you get one that she can eventually plug in.
    Plus - the tuner. I think making stringed instruments without built-in tuners should be outlawed by now.
    (And yes, I am including electrics. Why the heck has nobody started putting tuners into the top horn of an electric, right where the controls for an acoustic's electronics are?)
    The ones on the back of headstocks can be annoying...The built in ones--not the clip on ones
    Like on some Gibsons--at least the ones I tried are not user friendly...

But a built in pickup is a good idea.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'll have to ask her about the pickup. I'm not convinced that she wants something with electronics because she really just wants it for fun. I don't think she'd ever plug in.

But I will ask her for sure. I did tell her about your recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I don't think she'd ever plug in...
    Again, the built-in tuner is worth the extra money to me.

Regardless of features or size, once again I recommend a Cordoba uke.
    I have Mahola, Kaka and Luna ukes. There is something about my Cordoba...

Going to take her back to the store to see if they have any Cordobas in stock

I bought mine sight-unseen and am very happy with it. I don't like buying instruments this way, but I was not disappointed this time.

If they don't have any Cordobas (or any other ukes that she really wants), I think you can be pretty safe ordering from Amazon.