Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Advice Needed

Ukulele Advice Needed

Lately my daughter has been interested in playing the ukulele. Years ago someone had given us a very cheap soprano uke that is little more than a toy. Despite its very poor quality she seems very motivated and with her birthday coming up in a month I offered to buy her a better one. But what to get?

I'd like to spend $200 or less- anyone have a suggestion for a concert size ukulele in this price range?

dB

Axellent Member
    I don't know much about Uke's, but I know there's a lot of them on Reverb... https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=concert%20ukulele

This one stood out to me right away https://reverb.com/item/3190739-kala...t-ukulele-mint

I don't know much about them either! The one you posted does look good. Problem is the local stores have a very poor selection so it isn't very easy for her to play dozens of them.

I've only had a ukelele in my hands once, and that was to change a string on my girlfriend's uke, so I have no insights to offer. However, as much as I find it flattering that you're asking us, I think the best course of action is to lurk or join on a ukelele forum. Yes, there are several of them, and I suspect you'll get advice from them that a guitar forum can't offer. Out of respect for Paul, I won't post a link to any, but if you google "ukelele forum", there are several. I notice that some even have classified sections where you can buy pre-owned instruments, and it's possible you might be able to buy a superior instrument second hand.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I don't know much about them either! The one you posted does look good. Problem is the local stores have a very poor selection so it isn't very easy for her to play dozens of them.
    Stores around here often have a large selection--from ones that are toys or little more--up to expensive ones--like the Dean ML Uke I saw today...
    It was out of your price range...

I don't know a lot about ukes--but I saw one some ears ago in Hawaii that was handmade by a builder there--with beautiful grained koa and some abalone.
    It was out of my price range.

But if I ever did get a uke--I might just get this one...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I found trying to play a uke quite humbling. I expected to be able to master it quickly because it's tuned like the top four strings of a guitar. What I hadn't counted on was what a difference the string spacing makes.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Also--typically the string that is the highest physically--which on a guitar would be the lowest pitch, on a uke is often tuned higher
    (Although, overall, uke players tend to use more alternate tunings than guitar players...

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I found trying to play a uke quite humbling. I expected to be able to master it quickly because it's tuned like the top four strings of a guitar. What I hadn't counted on was what a difference the string spacing makes.
    Same with my experience with a tenor banjo. Plus The different patterns for the chords and the different root notes on the low strings made it extremely frustrating and I haven't played it in a long time.

Well learning mandolin is partly helped by the courses being tuned the same as the lower 4 strings of a guitar--but in reverse.
    But sometimes it messes with me--so I am trying to think of it as it's own --not upside down guitar or bass--especially as with a guitar or bass the notes will get higher & on a mandolin lower (& the other way around)-although it can help with figuring out chords on the fly... (Although it may not be the best voicing for a mandolin)