Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seagull 12 string.

Great to hear you are liking it, KC!

On another frum I remmeber one guy posted that a 12 string as a completely different instrument than a 6 string--and he got called out on it.
    Is it different than a 6 string?
    yes.
    Are there some things that work well on a 6 string that may not work so well on a 1 string (& the other way around as well)?
    Certainly.

So it is a different beast--but it is very closely connected.
    And I do play some songs differently on a 12 string than a 6 string--different strumming, rhythms, etc.

So experiment--try the crazy things (I've played power chords on mine--playign hard rock/heavy metal riffs--and it sounds crazy.
    I've also taken some of those songs, used different voicings & rhythms that bring out the 12 string's characteristics--and they sound like new songs.
    And I've played stuff that is more intended for 12 strings...

Experimenting is fun.
    And a new guitar can inspire you.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

What's REALLY a different instrument is the classical guitar...

It's been my experience that 12 string guitars seem to be at their best played in the lower cowboy chord positions. They all suffer from some degree of intonation issues higher on the neck as the difference between the major string and octave string gauges becomes more apparent (with the possible exception of the Rickenbacker electrics with their 12-saddle bridges). So, yeah, I play 12 strings a little differently too.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    What's REALLY a different instrument is the classical guitar...
    Bu tit's still not a totally different instrument--same notes in same places & all that--it's more the style than the instrument.
    I play my classical like any other guitar & sometimes I play classical on it.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    It's been my experience that 12 string guitars seem to be at their best played in the lower cowboy chord positions. They all suffer from some degree of intonation issues higher on the neck as the difference between the major string and octave string gauges becomes more apparent (with the possible exception of the Rickenbacker electrics with their 12-saddle bridges). So, yeah, I play 12 strings a little differently too.
    I do prefer open chords more than barre chords--the main reason in my case is that the open strings resonate sympathetically and that creates part of the characteristic sound of the 12 string.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah as you know I barre everything so intonation problems up the neck would be a big problem for me. I always did like the sound of a 12 string however.

You can still use barre chords on a 12 string--they do work--but I find they sound so much better with open chords.
    AAnd you do have to press down the barre harder with the 12 string--more tension.

The action is really nice on this one. Nicest I've ever played but I haven't played that many of them. So far not noticing any intonation issues. It does have a compansated Graphtech bridge saddle. I would think they put some thought into it. They excel in the open chord stuff. I would struggle big time with the bar chord stuff that DB does on a six a 12 would be real tough if not impossible to have all those notes ring clear.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    The action is really nice on this one. Nicest I've ever played but I haven't played that many of them. So far not noticing any intonation issues. It does have a compansated Graphtech bridge saddle. I would think they put some thought into it. They excel in the open chord stuff. I would struggle big time with the bar chord stuff that DB does on a six a 12 would be real tough if not impossible to have all those notes ring clear.
    Depends on the gauge too. What was yours strung with?

Not totally sure but my guess would be the two high End strings feel like 11s not sure what the bottom E is.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.