Thread: When amp mods go bad!

Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Jeez just when I thought I was getting good at doing wiring projects- now Hu goes and posts it on the forum...

The shoelaces on the wires are the secret to tone though......

Yes, it sounds a bit smoother. And the caps last longer, they throw dice for whose turn it is to work, when you switch on the power.So the others can have a rest.

Fussel you can have the honours of turning that baby on- I ain't going anywhere near that when the switch is thrown
    Last edited by die Bullen; 11-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.

not go - run for shelter!

For some reason, I had an old experience in a music store flash through my mind earlier. A sort of amp-mod-gone-wrong thing. I was wandering through a store in Victoria called Sound Source when I came across one of those WTF? displays.....Someone had tried to adapt an old communications amplifier for guitar and it really went bad. This amp was sitting on top of a box with a 30" EV speaker that looked absolutely exploded, complete with shrapnel. On top of it was a hand-lettered sign that said "This is what happens when you try to play guitar through a 1000 watt linear amplifier". Wish I'd had a camera with me.

Sound Source was a great store back then. They used to manufacture very nice quality preamps and built beautiful amplified speaker boxes that blew the doors off anything else that was around in the early 70's. I haven't seen one in about ten years but I'd buy one in a minute if I could find one. Anybody else heard of Sound Source, or were they just a western Canadian phenomenon?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."