Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp logo

Looks like they can do faceplates aswell... http://www.altechanodizing.com/wp-co...y/laser/19.jpg

Thank you for all the great input.

FC, I love the idea of having work done by Axetalk members. I Googled "super sculpey". That stuff doesn't look too tough. Will it survive being banged around the car?

Mike, same for you. I appreciate the input, and may contact that company. I also want to try your pickups someday.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

That reminds me of something I have thought of since shortly after finding this fine group of guitar-fixin' folk. I would love to have an Axealk guitar, where anyone who wanted to contributed something. A body painted by one member who is good at that, a neck finished by another skilled there. Mike's pickups...

I may start a new thread for this when I give it some more thought. The project may take a couple of years to finish (like some of Spell's projects!), and of course I would be paying for it, including the time involved, but I think it would be a great guitar!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

(I am not a rich man, by the way. I am a working musician, so this may take a couple of years to finance! Haha)

The superculpey would need several coats of clear verathane
    (the stuff they put on basketball floors)

-But You are right, even with a steel back plate, an all - metal
    process will yield the most durable (and the most attractive)

When I did some work for a costume jeweler/trophy maker,

- they had had a process whereby a retarding agent
    was printed onto a 1/4' thick magnesium plate and then dipped into an acid.

this would of course only eat the area around the text/line art.

The depth of the etch could go from a light depth to all the way trough the metal,
    depending on the lenght of time it was left exposed to the acid.

This would of course require casting to make several,
    but room temperature vulcanizing rubber (rtv)
    works well with this type of material.
    (so does super sculpey)

Then You could cast them in german silver and buff them to gloss on a buffing wheel.
    (they even make a buffing compound that leaves a black residue in the crevices of the cast, fwiw :P
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    (I am not a rich man, by the way. I am a working musician, so this may take a couple of years to finance! Haha)
    Rich man-working musician?
    For 99%--at least of working musicians those terms are mutually exclusive.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.