Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid State Amp upgrades

I think that what I would do is, get your chip # and manufacturer, and contact Burr Brown, and see if they have a replacement, and ask them if theirs has improved specs.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Not sure if this has been touched on, but sometimes older amps benefit from upgrading reverb tanks, such as going from a small unit to a larger one, or two-spring to three-spring design. This is a desirable mod, not just because it might give an audible improvement, but because it's easily reversible if the amp has any collectible value.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Not sure if this has been touched on, but sometimes older amps benefit from upgrading reverb tanks, such as going from a small unit to a larger one, or two-spring to three-spring design. This is a desirable mod, not just because it might give an audible improvement, but because it's easily reversible if the amp has any collectible value.
    Like Button, if we had one.

I also remember seeing an ad in an old guitar magazine for an amp that had modules you could plug in to change the sound.
    then later Seymour Duncan did something like that as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Agreed on the like button here. I would suggest this for the SS upgrade.

A bit off-topic, but I recently found some old paperwork including my high school electronics class notes. I built an amplifier, which I remember. But I had planned on having reverb in this amp. I even ordered a reverb spring (for only a couple of dollars) from a electronic supply place. I found the letter from them saying they no longer carried the reverb spring. Explains why there was no reverb in my amp. I have no idea what happened to the amp, or even how it sounded.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Sorry if this makes me sound like a smart a55, but the best upgrade I ever did to an ss amp was replace it with a tube amp.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    Sorry if this makes me sound like a smart a55, but the best upgrade I ever did to an ss amp was replace it with a tube amp.
    You are being kinder than some of the folks here:
    What upgrades could you do to a solid-state Fender amp?

All this being said, I would love to try my old Lab Series amp again and see if I still love it as much as I did then.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Also - I don't think MustangMorris is coming back, so we can put this one to rest.

(Or keep chatting to amuse ourselves.)

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post

(Or keep chatting to amuse ourselves.)
    Probably this one...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.