Thread: Peavey VYPYR 30

Peavey VYPYR 30

My name is Stan and I have a modding problem. Guitars, basses, amps, I just can't help myself. I have a Peavey VYPYR 30 combo with 1 12" speaker and my only regret is that it's not the 75 combo. Now do I take a loss and sell it and get the 75 or, take a saw to it and make it a head and run it with a 2x12 8 ohm cab Will this accomplish any thing positive or will I just create transportation headaches?

I'm not a modeling amp type of guy myself- I like simplicity and don't like that "new-fangled" stuff.

So I'd have to say dump the VYPYR, throw a couple of celestrons in a homemade cab and find an Ampeg v-4 that will bring tears to your neighbours' eyes. Or heck find a nice VT-22 and blow any joint you walk into with a piece most people can't lift.

dB

Stan, I know exactly what you mean. I can't stop futzing with my gear either. And I have to admit, I've thought about turning combos into heads and vice versa. My take would be if the VYPYR is something you want to keep and its power level is about right for you, then by all means try it out with different speaker arrangements. If that means turning it into a head then so be it, but first I'd check if, at least on a test basis, you could just unhook the internal speaker and run a cord to an external cab. That might be a less drastic option and still get you to that 2x12 configuration you want. I think building or buying the cab is a great idea in its own right. I used to run my Blues Junior into a 1x15 cabinet that used to be a Sunn combo bass amp - just unplugged the internal speaker (it has a standard 1/4" jack) and ran a cord to the 1x15.