Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible speaker matching issue?

Neophyte
    More strange news folks. I swapped the polarity on the speaker and it did the exact same thing!

actually I meant the polarity of the plug- I'm really leaning towards this being a bad tube if you are 100% certain that the caps are good

You might try moving the amplifier to another part of the house and notice if the hum changes. Some rooms have bad hum. I get hum when I turn on a table fan.

I do not think wattage is a concern. If you turn down the volume control, stay under 1 watt (1 watt is probably louder than the TV or radio in your house), and the hum remains then the speaker wattage is probably not causing the hum. Perhaps try another speaker, notice if the hum disappears. Use low volume, test for only a minute or so, not likely to damage anything.

You might find a local electronics tech by placing an ad in craigslist.org.
    Last edited by YeahDoIt; 10-04-2010 at 04:27 AM.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

Neophyte
    die Bullen: About 99% sure tubes are good. Had em swapped maybe a month ago. Plus when I put in the old speaker, everything works just fine.

YeahDoIt: I have a bud whos willin to let me experiment with his speaker. ill give that a shot and see where it takes me. Also, anywhere in the house gives me the hum.

I'll be curious to hear what the resolution is to this one in case mine ever starts humming- in the meantime go join the Ampeg owners club so I am not so lonely over there!!!

Neophyte
    Haha will do! THanks for the input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mathrawk View Post
    die Bullen: About 99% sure tubes are good. Had em swapped maybe a month ago. Plus when I put in the old speaker, everything works just fine.

YeahDoIt: I have a bud whos willin to let me experiment with his speaker. ill give that a shot and see where it takes me. Also, anywhere in the house gives me the hum.
    That should definitely pin it down to the new speaker being faulty-like the voice coil is too tight and rubbing.

If your friends speaker is hum free you know it's the new speaker...

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'll be curious to hear what the resolution is to this one in case mine ever starts humming- in the meantime go join the Ampeg owners club so I am not so lonely over there!!!
    I had the 100 watt 2x12 Ampeg VT-22 years ago-solid as a rock but heavy as an Army tank! I used a power soak to keep for blowing away the audience in clubs-nice rock tone with the attenuator.

It was it's 95 lbs of weight that finally convinced me it was time to retire it...

Quote Originally Posted by anfontan View Post
    That should definitely pin it down to the new speaker being faulty-like the voice coil is too tight and rubbing.

If your friends speaker is hum free you know it's the new speaker...
    duh you got me there- I don't know how I missed or forgot the comment that swapping the speaker back solves the problem!

Agree with you- this appears to be a bad speaker- crappy quality control

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    duh you got me there- I don't know how I missed or forgot the comment that swapping the speaker back solves the problem!

Agree with you- this appears to be a bad speaker- crappy quality control
    Yeah, I do electronic repair in my job-telemetry tracking equipment actually-and the speakers we get these days are very cheezy! Often they are D.O.A. right out of the box....