Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible speaker matching issue?

Neophyte

Possible speaker matching issue?

Hi there. I have an old Ampeg Reverberocket2 from 64 and she's been in need of a new speaker for some time. Originally I was gonna get a vintage30 as replacement but I got a killer deal on a g12-65 that I couldn't refuse. However I loaded it in and everytime I tried playing it, an incessant hum would start and not stop until I turned the amp off. The speakers rated at 8 ohms, which I'm nearly certain the old speaker was rated, although there we're no markings on it. Anyone know what the beef is?

-Sean

Have the capacitors ever been changed? They may only last 10 or 20 years.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

Neophyte
    Yeah, put about $150 worth of work into her this past summer. The amp itself is in as good condition as it could be right now.

I do not think that an impedance issue would cause a hum- more likely the speakers would just draw too much power from the amp until the amp blows. If not a bad capacitor, I'm thinking this could be a bad tube- although it is very strange if it only started happening after the speaker swap.

Neophyte
    Yeah I'm not sure what to make of it. All the tubes are brand new as well. I've never seen anything like it. Hmmm.... : <

a brand new tube could have been damaged in shipping or wasn't right in the first place- they don't make 'em like they used to... If you were in NJ I would know where to send you for an expert vintage Ampeg tech but OH is a little far to drive to him

I looked at some schematics (Ampeg Reverberocket 2 GS-12-R Amplifier Schematic), shows an 8 ohm speaker.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

Neophyte
    die bullen: I'd say that would definitely be a reasonable thing to consider (I had an issue in the past with another amp) but for about two months, everything has worked perfectly with the previous speaker installed. Just wanna experiment with different speakers I guess.

YeahDoIT: It is an 8 ohm speaker. Do I have to worry about the wattage level possibly? I wouldn't think that'd be an issue but I'm really just looking at any possibility at this point.

stupid question but could this be a polarity problem?

Neophyte
    I'll try swapping the polarity this evening. It's wired the same way my previous speaker was, but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks man.