Thread: Which speaker would you use and why?

AT Member

Which speaker would you use and why?

I am starting a new project. In this project I am putting my Fender SCXD chassis in a Mojo Tone Princeton Cab. But I have yet to pickout the 12" speaker I want to use for this project. I could get by with a little help from my friends. The speakers I like are :

1. Eminence Patriot Red white and blues 8ohm
    2. Eminence Wizard 75 8ohm
    3. Any others that you can suggest for me to research. Thanks for helping!

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/cabinets-vintage-blackface/Blackface-Princeton-Reverb-Style-Cabinet

I've got 2 SCXD's. One with an Eminence Legend 105, the other with a Jensen C10R. The Legend adds more Mids, and a raw tweed sound. The Jensen retains more of the stock blackface sound. As a rockabilly player, the Eminence Legend is my favorite. It has more of that vintage tweed sound.

If I knew more about your style of music, guitar, etc. I might be able to make a better suggestion. Otherwise, I would go with the Eminence Red white and blues, or Legend 1258. If you use a lot of clean sounds, the Lil' Texas is also a good choice.
    Last edited by chicago slim; 12-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.

AT Member

No problem..

I play two different guitars, but with one common thread. I play a ESP 401FM Les Paul and a ESP ST203 Strat. Both guitars have humbuckers in the bridge. Checkout my gear page.

I play all types of music but mostly just straight up rock and roll or new country. I use my SCXD usually in the 3rd or 9th voice for a rock sound, gain at 5 vol at 7 to 8 Bass and Treb depend on guitar as the Les Paul has EMG's.

Quote Originally Posted by stubewan View Post
    I play two different guitars, but with one common thread. I play a ESP 401FM Les Paul and a ESP ST203 Strat. Both guitars have humbuckers in the bridge. Checkout my gear page.

I play all types of music but mostly just straight up rock and roll or new country. I use my SCXD usually in the 3rd or 9th voice for a rock sound, gain at 5 vol at 7 to 8 Bass and Treb depend on guitar as the Les Paul has EMG's.
    You would probably be happier with the Eminence Wizard. Voices 3 & 9, have a lot of Mids. Most of the Celestions would also work. The Celestion Seventy/80 is a good neutral speaker for a modeling amp.
    Last edited by chicago slim; 12-28-2010 at 02:09 PM.

AT Member

Thanks Slim

I think that i am going with the wizard, it does seem to have the specs that are mor of my style.

If I had my choice of a speaker it would be an old Fane Crescendo ci. 1973.
    Pete Farm Amplification

Hand Crafted Solutions for Musicians
    http://www.petawatt12.com/

When 11 is just not enough!