Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does an amp stay electified and dangerous after switch-off?

The lesson here is; give them plenty of time to discharge and short them to ground regardless of how long its been shut off. That way you don't experience what me and Hu did. We both could have been killed or suffered serious injury.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

One hand behind your back when poking around in there.

JJ

I've heard that hitting a loud, hard chord just before shutting the amp off will reduce the amount of voltage left in the power supply caps. But, it's not a failsafe, and manually discharging the caps afterward is the only way to ensure that you won't get jolted. Grabbing a loaded cap in an amp is memorable at the least and fatal outcomes are possible. When I had to unbolt all the controls on my Twin Reverb in order to install the new faceplate, I didn't even try to do it myself.....I took it to a tech and had him discharge all the caps.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I always disconnect the amp from the outlet and leave it that way at least a day before I attempt to touch it even though I'm safe from shocks since the electronics are all inside a metal box, the tubes protrude from it so I risk very little when changing them. As a matter of fact I just finished a tube swap earlier.

Now modding it is a different beast....