Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Classic 30 Reverb Upgrade

Peavey Classic 30 Reverb Upgrade

So after being convinced by a friend over here at AxeTalk that if I am dissatisfied with my Peavey Classic 30 reverb I might as well do something about it, we consulted a boutique amp builder that the slight impedance difference will not hurt the amp.

So today I yanked the 2 spring crappy reverb out of the Peavey and installed a new 3 spring unit. Total cost- like $25 and the swap took me all of 10 minutes (mainly due to the tiny hanging springs that suspend the unit in the housing). What a huge difference!!! The amp has gone from an anemic reverb to cavernous- totally changes the amp. If you hate your Peavey reverb you should definitely consider this mod.

This amp just keeps getting better with age!

Where'd you get this new spring unit? MAN, you slowly selling me into the Peavey Classic amps! I might as well get a Classic 30 and do all these swaps!! is it close the Fender reverb? I don't want over the top reverb, I just want to add more lush to it.. I've tried a Fender Super Reverb amp, and the reverb just drowned me...

the Fender Frontman's reverb is a little bit anemic for a Fender amp.. but still pretty nice, my setting is at 6/10, and if compared to a Peavey, i forgot the max setting for the reverb is it 10,11 or 12? anyway, if it's 10, it should be around 12 (compared to the 6/10 Fender setting)...

The Classic 30 was high on my list when I was looking for a tube combo. Nothing wrong with the higher end Peavey stuff, just stay away from the cheezy VYPYRs.

Amplifiedparts.com stocks all kinds of reverbs and that's where I got mine.

You could compare the reverb to a vintage Fender or Ampeg- the unit is very similar to what they use/d, 3 spring, long tank (I forget the official name), medium decay. With reverb at 12 you are totally buried and it ploinks like in a cave- but that is what real reverbs sound like! I like it around 8 for that 60's surf kind of sound. But even set much lower the reverb just has a better quality than the 2 spring model. The 2 springs just have a cheap, thin quality and lack richness, the 3 spring changes that completely.

Your Frontman might not actually have a "mechanical" spring reverb- it could be just a circuit.

That spring reverb is awesome for the Hillsong sound, that and some chorus and you're right on.

I guess it's the Peavey classic30 for me!

Well I'd certainly try one first. You could very well be looking for a different sound than me. The PV certainly isn't the greatest amp ever made or anything but with the few little mods I have done it is very usable for gigging- I definitely wouldn't sell mine now. There are definitely some other things that could be upgraded on this amp, like the caps and the speaker but for now I'm not going to bother- spending too much money these days!

I actually want fender cleans.. if the cleans are as good as the solid state Bandit, then I'm good.. if the OD and the Reverb problem was solved by swapping parts and all, I'm also good.. The amp is cheaper than getting same powered amp from fender or from vox... I can get a few 15w tube amps from fender like the pro jr and the blues jr, but the price is already the same as the peavey classic 30, both new...

but yeah, I understand your point.. if only i could find an old ampeg in a reasonable price and condition, that's what I'm going to buy!

15W wouldn't be enough for me to gig with outdoors with brass- I set up the Reverberocket (it is either 18W or 22W) for the party and found that I had to push it to 8/10 to get the same level as the Peavey on 4/12. I don't like the idea of having to drive an amp that hard just to be heard at all so the Ampeg came back in.

Down the road I might get a bigger amp with 2 speakers or I might make an extension cab for the Peavey with an old 1950's Electrovoice 15" speaker I have in the basement- it is awesome. Look at the size of this magnet!!! The speaker weighs around 40 pounds...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1217  

That's a big ass speaker!