Thread: Bass through the PA?

Bass through the PA?

My buddy, who's building a rehearsal space/studio on his property is starting to think about equipment. He wants to have amplifiers on-site and we've been talking about bass amps. Originally, he intended to use his Sunn Coliseum as the bass amp and buy a suitable bass speaker cabinet to go with it. Now, he's talked himself into the idea that the bass can be run through the PA. I know there are bands out there that run everything through the PA, but I have real reservations about whether this is a good idea. I don't know specifically what the PA is, although he's led me to believe it's a large commercial system. However, I really doubt that it's designed for the low frequencies and massive cone excursions that a bass will demand of it. I'd be interested to hear your reactions to this idea.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Geddy Lee plays direct. 'nuff sed. You would still need somekind of processor like a Digitech or something to give you the tonal adjustments a PA doesn't offer. I forgot my MKIV head once and played direct and the sound was terrible. If I had my RP80, I may have been able to fix that.

If you read some of the gear pages of the musicians who play direct, you'd see a lot of PODs and similar devices being used. Lincoln Brewster plays direct but uses a POD.
    I ran with scissors this morning. I never felt so free.

I don't really like playing anything directly through the PA but I suppose as Stan said with digital processing or some sort of tone enhancer/ equalizer it could be okay. I know this is about bass specifically but I hate the sound of one of my guitars direct through the PA

I remember reading about people playing bass direct to the PA. They use a direct input box although plugging into a mixer likely works too.
    Video playing acoustic guitar at the beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8

My main point of concern would be whether the speakers would handle it. Knowing what a bass signal can do to guitar speakers, I wonder if PA speakers are likely to be up to it.

whether you mic it, put the signal from a direct line out from the amp to the PA, bass goes through, the speakers can handle it. But can your stomach? With out somekind of processor, the sound is bad.
    I ran with scissors this morning. I never felt so free.

Yeah I hate that tinny sizzly straight through the PA sound (without processing)

I'm sure finding a suitable front end to interface the bass into the PA mixer won't be a problem. I've got a direct box/cabinet emulator that'll operate at preamp or speaker level that could be connected to any small amp to get more correct voicing, or I could connect either my Weber Z-Matcher or Weber Headphone Tap to my MkIV to get a low level signal for the mixer. I'm still unconvinced that PA speakers are suited to the bass though. Any time I've ever played a guitar and guitar head through PA columns it sounded very middy and lack-lustre. And I'm still scratching my head about how PA speakers can cope with the low frequency long cone excursions from a bass guitar.

What kind of PA do you have and amp and monitors, I am a bass player, played in a band and at church. I use a MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo direct in to the PA and my amp really is my monitor. But sometimes if I don't want a amp and to lazy to carry something, depending on your PA you can get super results using a Sansamp DI pedal that has a preamp in it. They start out around $200.00 new and they got some higher ones. They are awesome for the price, I have used them with PA,s small gigs 400 watt mixer 15speakers front and some good 12s for monitor depends how loud you are on stage. I have also played that way with a Mackie Mixer 2000 watt power amp and some good 15 PA speakers on outside gigs. Your stage volume should be the quietist place in the building, a hot stage can make less room for mistakes.

Axellent Member
    Maybe he is talking about using a PA amp.

I have a small Crown PA amp that runs bridged
    700 watts through a Genz Benz 4X10. I usually
    run off a simple Hartke Bass Attack Stomp Box.

If I turn this on in my house, the acoustic paint
    on the ceiling starts raining down,

Tabdog