Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Amp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Forecaster View Post
    ...Reading through the comments below that review (His was non-operative, as I read it)
    other posters have also expressed a dislike for the trem....
    Hmmm - As I read it, his trem worked, but sounded like crap. One of his commentors mentioned an non-operative trem, and was worried about that affecting resale.

I'm still trying to set up my studio, I'll post some pix and some sound clips sometime this year.
    How many times have I said THAT in the past year?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I saw a vintage Gibson amp (Early 1960's) at a store a couple of years ago--and was tempted to buy it just to sit there & look cool, but fortunately I don't buy amps for that reason, as it wasn't cheap.
    I didn't try it as I really couldn't afford it.

But it was cool.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I saw a vintage Gibson amp (Early 1960's) at a store a couple of years ago--and was tempted to buy it just to sit there & look cool, but fortunately I don't buy amps for that reason, as it wasn't cheap.
    I didn't try it as I really couldn't afford it.

But it was cool.
    Thanks to my interest in that reissue, I have been reading a lot of good things about Gibson amps. I never would have considered them before, but now I'm interested.

I just had a look on the local kijiji. $800 to $3000 for vintage amps.
    I won't be bringing home a Gibson anytime soon.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

So I had to post this, because I'd never seen one before,
    and He shot the pix in his kitchen,lol.
    The caps info is from the listing.

US $29,999.99 USD
    (From the Ebay Listing)
    BASIC FACTS OF THIS AMP:
    1) IT IS A SMALL BOX JTM-45 WITH BLACK ON GREEN VINYL/LEVANT COVERING.
    THE BACK COVER IS BLACK LEVANT WITH THE GOLD GRILLE AND IS PROBABLY THE ORIGINAL
    BACK COVER AS THAT LEVANT WAS USED IN THE SAME TIME PERIOD.
    2) IT HAS THE ORIGINAL BLACK ON GOLD “KITCHEN-MARSHALL” STYLE PLEXIGLASS BLOCK LOGO.
    - the original logos are larger than the repros! how do I know? years & years of fact research!)
    3) IT IS AN ORIGINALLY FITTED EL-34 DESIGN AMP WITH GZ-34 RECTIFIER FROM (PROBABLY) EARLY TO MID 1966.
    MAYBE LATE 65 BUT MICHAEL DOYLE SOLD IT TO ME AS A 1966 SO I'LL JUST KEEP IT AS 1966.
    4)) IT HAS THE GOLD PLEXIGLASS (plexi) FRONT PANEL.
    5) IT HAS THE CREAM BACK PANEL W/ GOLD LETTERING/NUMBERING.
    6) IT HAS THE CLASSIC MARSHALL KNOBS.
    7) IT RUNS AT 220 VOLTS SO A STEP UP TRANSFORMER HAS TO BE USED IN THE STATES.
    8) IT HAS BEEN USED AND MAINTAINED PROPERLY SINCE MY OWNERSHIP! I PLAY THROUGH IT REGULARLY!

(featured on pg 127 of the History of Marshall Book)
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

The reason I started looking at Gibson amps is that when I began my search, they were considerably cheaper than the fender amps from that period. (I paid 510.00 for My Titan in 2009)
    While looks are important to me (the uglier the better) I value quality materials and workmanship above all else, (yes, even tone)
    Reason being: -Consistency.

I watched some pretty important musicians of our time battling with the engineers & producers trying to get a guitar overdub to sound like the earlier take from the week. (at an ungodly hourly rate)
    & while it was costly in terms of $
    The interruption of the creative process is what really suffered.

In My experience, metal that has been mined, refined, made into a car, scrapped,melted down, made into yet another product, scrapped
    and made into the guts of a tube (or any other product) seems to be less reliable than a product cast from, say, 1950's Pittsburgh steel.

I have heard the change over time a premium JJ tube set produces through the board at eldorado, and I am not a cork sniffer, it was that noticeable.

I've seen 3 trace elliot velocette amps (Think Gibson GA reissue) fail, 2 of them at the gig. (power xformer, all 3 times)
    Up to that point, I'd never looked at a vintage gibson, I was happy with My old Vox pacemaker.

I'm not going to say all new amps are crap and all old amps are great, there are good & bad models from both types.
    But I honestly doubt that many of today's circuit board imported amps will be around after 60 years.

I know that the resistors/caps have a lifespan, and I did have them replaced on most of My gibson purchases,
    (The fender reverb unit being a freakish exception)

-but once I'd done that & put some NOS tubes in, I have not had to think about them since, and can take them into Eldo and overdub the tracks I did from 2 years ago with little or no effort behind the board.

I can take them to a cold windy rooftop gig in Belmont Shore, and then have them be the backline amps for 4 hours, toss them into the back of a pickup truck and they will take it.

Circuit board tube amps , in my exp, do not like this treatment - at all.

From what I've gathered,Gibson did not keep good records like fender did, and their quality was 2nd to that of Fender.
    & There are many, many improvements made in amps since 1950, obviously.

But since I'm never going to spend more than 1k on any amp, (unless I get a loan from a friend)
    Gibson GAs from the early 60's are a real value, to My inexperienced ears....I know what type of distortion I like, and what kind I don't.

/end rant

and Now, for the Gibson amp i would love to hear in action:
    Last edited by Forecaster; 01-07-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    "The problem with the internet (and e-mails) is you cannot hear someones voice, see them smile, nor notice a tongue planted firmly in cheek" - Andy Fuchs

early 60's Gibson GA-79RV (can also be found as a re-branded Bell Howell amp, too)

Divided by 13 LDW 17/39 -one of the Best Amps I've ever Heard,
    (A mim strat, an old Sears Guitar, and a Hamer all sounded amazing though it.)

-from their site

The LDW 17/39 offers all of what is described in the JJN 50/100 but runs "Class A" in the 17 watt lower power mode giving the player that classic creamy "Class A" overdrive with smooth compression offering a new twist to the wide range of, but improved upon, sounds we've come to expect from our favorite amplifiers from England from the mid 60's through the mid 80's.
    Just Killing it with a Divided by 13 2x12F cabinet.

SPECS/FEATURES
    17 watts Class A
    39 watts Class AB1
    Power Section [2] EL 34
    Master Volume
    Half Power Switch
    4,8, and 16 Ohm outputs

AVAILABLE COLORS
    Black, Cream, Forest Green, Purple, Plum, Red, Gold, Silver, Royal Blue, Orange, Navy Blue.

Not that i'd ever spend that kindof $ on an amp, but it really sounded very full of life, for a brand new amp.

This is a Silvertone 1484. These puppy's crank!! I witnessed a demonstration at a guitar show that was very impressive. I would love to pick one up one day.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

early 60's Gibson GA-79RV (can also be found as a re-branded Bell Howell amp, too)

That looks like one of the ones that tempted me.