Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube amps under 25 lbs

Tube amps under 25 lbs

I'm not in a rush here--I have some other stuff I will probably get first, but I have been slowly stepping up my search for a light tube amp--for a variety of reasons that you may not care about, if I get any new amps I would prefer them to be lighter ones (Under 25 pounds)
    I haven't seen a lot of options when I'm out in stores or friends' amps, etc.
    And some websites list their amp weights, but many don't.
    It could be a head under 25 & a cab under 25 or a combo--I'd prefer a combo.
    This wouldn't be used for gigging, but for playing at home for fun, and recording for fun.

As well, most of the ones I've seen that are lighter that I like are more expensive than I would like to spend, but I haven't decided on a definite budget yet, but certainly under $1000 would be best-but probably less, unless I come across some extra cash.
    Used amp are at the top of my list for cost reasons.

I have some ideas what I'd like, and have been on the look out for used ones at local stores & online, etc.
    Any suggestions, comments, etc would be welcome.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

My 1watt Black star is very light. Not giggable though. There is a 20 watt black star that may work for you.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

My first thought was a used Fender PRRI. It fits your budget, but I just looked at the weight, and it's 34 lb.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I really like my little Ampeg Jets (late 50's/ early 60's)

Thanks guys--if I find a good deal on a used one, I am likely to go that route--more bang for my buck.
    And I'm not gigging with it--so that's not a concern.
    But I have more possibilities to add to my list--thanks again--and anyone else--feel free to join in--at least until you see a New Amp Day thread from me...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

In the 70s there were lots of "stencil" amps, the ones made by companies like Garnet for smaller companies, or even for stores like Sears.
    Some of them were tube. I seem to remember the brand "Pine". 15 years ago, these little things would sell for $30 in the local pawn shops. Now they are on ebay for $300 when they show up.
    Anyway, they were pretty light and they had tubes. I honestly cannot remember how great they sounded, but they might be worth looking for.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I have a couple of Garnet Stencils--my first two amps actually--one is solid state and the other is tube.
    The tube one is huge, heavy & awkward.
    In my experience the lighter Garnet stencils are solidstate--but who knows if there aren't tube ones.
    I don't see them for sale very often, but I would consider a tube one if I could find one.
    As I've said before, it is possible I'll wind up getting the first one I can find for a decent price when I have the money for it.
    (Or if someone is willing to trade for one of my amps.)

I am considering selling my Garnet stencils though as people like these amps, and they do sound good.
    If I do sell it, the proceeds would go towards more gear...

This is something like the Pine amp I had. It had tubes and couldn't have weighed much, as I was carrying it around to my friends' houses as a kid. Like I said, I saw a few of these in pawn shops in the late 90s for $30 or so.
    And here is a 2011 ad for one at $300:
    A Vintage Canadian Made 'Pine' Tube Amp! Crunch Extraordinaire!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Here is a thread at a forum that looks interesting about a Pine amp with a Paul logo.
    Vintage Pine Electronics Amp with My Name On It!

And I quote:
    "I guestimate this little guy to be about 5-8 watts, 3 tubes, 3 inputs and two knobs (volume and tone). It's light as a feather (easily half the weight of the Blues Junior, but about the same size) and the strange cabinet decor has a really distinctive look."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paulamp02.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	3456  

How powerful are you looking for?