Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UGH- amp failure on a gig!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...If I buy a backup amp, for certain it would be a new amp because I need rock solid dependability...
    dB, my old Bandit is the only amp I can count on NOT to give me issues. All my tube amps have given me worries at gigs. Even the newest one.

My point about the C30's speaker being 16ohm was that it makes it less attractive to use another head with the speaker, or another speaker or cabinet with the C30 head. I have several amps and like to mix and match between them. I cannot with my C30. I may be selling the C30, by the way, and this would be a big part of why. For me, it's like having having a spare tire from someone else' car. As for the Blue Marvel, I immediately swapped mine out for a 16ohm Greenback.

The reason I recommended the older Bandit (other than my amp's dependability) is because the older ones are simply an amp, nothing more. Virtually all of the newer SS amps are using modelling, and this is not what you want at all, in most cases. Most amp modelling is trying to get hi-gain distorted sounds and delays and modulation effects. An 80s or 90s solid state amp like the Bandit or an old Acoustic amp will sound closer to what you want.
    The Roland Blues Cube is the only new one I have seen that is using modelling to try to sound like the kind of amp that you would want to play with. As for it looking bigger, it is the same width as my C30, 2 inches taller, and an inch or so less deep. And it weighs 9 1/2 pounds less than the C30.

Sounds like a trip to your local music store is in order. FInd the oldest salesman you can find ( ), tell him what kind of music you play, and try out several new amps. And bring your own guitar! Maybe they have a loaner program, or no-hassle return so you can exchange until you are happy. Or rent one at a time.
    Last edited by doublewah; 10-03-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Here is another viable option. The new JC-40 (the JC-120's little brother). It is 3 1/2" wider and 3/4" higher than my C30. And it weighs 4 1/2 pounds less than the C30.
    Roland - JC-40 | Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier

Most videos demoing it are focusing on it's chorus and distortion. This video is pretty good, though.
    I think it might be the amp for you. (And there may be one in my future as well ( ;0 ).
    Last edited by doublewah; 10-03-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thank you- these are all very thoughtful and helpful comments, DW!

I do have one possibility I completely forgot about. I have a very new Markbass II 400 watt SS amp that I bought some time ago. Although it is a little dry it has a massive sound for an amp of its size and it is quite light. Certainly that would work in a pinch, although I must admit I really prefer the tube sound. I have to experiment with it because usually I roll my guitar's pickup and master volumes back to 7. With jacking those way up on the guitar as well as raising my guitar tone it might be a decent tone through a bass amp.

The Markbass would not be a good long term choice but it is immediately free and available. Long term I have to think about- I'm eyeing up a Dr. Z MAZ 38 NR that looks like a good choice, but it might be heavy, even in the studio cab.

Funny, after my posts I thought about saying something about how these days, a bass amp might be your best choice, although there is no reverb.

I would just get the C30 fixed, and keep the Markbass in the car (or on stage for important gigs).

I never use the reverb anyway!

Yeah I am getting the C30 fixed no matter what- it is in the shop now. I think that it is almost certain that it will turn out to be the power tubes but I'd like that amp completely checked over before it goes back into service.

You are right that an emergency amp might be in order for gigs but for that I would have to find something very compact- as you pointed out, the PV's speaker is hard wired and I could not sub a small head in in the event of a future head failure. So long term I might wind up having to move to a totally different platform because I could put a small flat SS head in the car and leave it there, using just the cab and bypassing the onboard head. The Peavey has served me well up until now but it might be time to move on to something that has a wired speaker and an impedance rating that is more standard that 16 ohms.

Okay, I just looked t that Dr Z amp. Tubes and no reverb, huh? And it costs 2 - 3 times the SS amps I was suggesting.

I'm afraid you've got gas, my friend. There is nothing more that science or medicine can do for you.

Ha ha it isn't really GAS- it is just an option.

I'd be very open to other options and there is a GC and a Sam Ash within 5 minutes of me so I can try some amps out. But I don't really see me switching to SS for my primary gigging amp. Frankly I've been surprisingly happy with the PV but you make a very good point about the speaker setup. I do like the idea of buying a small flat SS head and carrying it to gigs as a backup. I have a utility backpack that I bring to gigs with small accessories. I could get a small flat SS head and throw it in there.

A quick addendum...

I may be overreacting but this experience really put a scare in me. Had that amp gone down hard this would have absolutely wreaked havoc on the band and you could bet we'd not be brought back. I never watch the clock at gigs but my eyes were fixated on that clock hoping the amp would last the rest of the show. It is not something I ever want to repeat.

I should have asked this earlier? Was there a PA? I have plugged my pedal-board direct into PA a couple times, when my amp has blown. It can be more work for the soundman (if there is one), but considering you don't change sounds from song to song or section to section, it should be quite easy. It might be a good idea for you to try it once in a while, maybe at sound checks or rehearsal, just so your ears are prepared for the sound and feel change.

I also play direct to my PA for 80% of my gigs now. Either my nylon or steel string acoustics straight to my PA, or one of my electrics through at least one BOSS type pedal to buffer it.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Here is another viable option. The new JC-40 (the JC-120's little brother). It is 3 1/2" wider and 3/4" higher than my C30. And it weighs 4 1/2 pounds less than the C30.
    Roland - JC-40 | Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier

Most videos demoing it are focusing on it's chorus and distortion. This video is pretty good, though.
    I think it might be the amp for you. (And there may be one in my future as well ( ;0 ).
    My main amp for years was a JC-60
    ROland JCs are great amps--although the distortion control isn't the best--but I don't know how much dB would use it.

the Chorus is quite good though
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.