Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UGH- amp failure on a gig!

No there wasn't a PA- I don't ever bring my PA to gigs unless they are outside and we really need volume. We don't need a PA at "normal" volume gigs or we borrow a mic and crappy speaker that most facilities have. This was a smaller 100-120 seat auditorium in a library so we didn't need a PA. I just announced without a mic. If I were to introduce a PA as potential backup I'd need another car- I literally would not be able to get that much equipment in my car (bearing in mind I drive the band and all their gear sans drummer).

The Roland is surely a nice amp but a 2x10 config is too big. Should I decide to scrap the PV platform the replacement would have to be a 1x12

I still think the answer is to fix the Peavey and buy a micro-sized solid state head with enough power that it'll still provide adequate volume with a 16 ohm speaker load, or use your MarkBass amp (assuming it's solid state)

The issue of the speaker interfacing with a separate amp is really easy to solve......If the Peavey has a speaker wire exiting the chassis and connected to the speaker terminals, cut it midway between the two and simply install a 1/4" plug on the amplifier side and a 1/4" inline jack on the speaker side. If and when it becomes necessary to use the backup head, just disconnect the Peavey chassis from the speaker at that inline junction. Use a standard 1/4" male to 1/4" male plug speaker cord.....One end goes in the output jack of the solid state head, and the other end plugs into the 1/4" inline jack that's soldered into the Peavey's speaker wire.

A solid state head will be just fine with a 16 ohm speaker.....It'll draw less current from the transformer at 16 ohms, so you'll get about 25% of the amp's 4 ohm-rated wattage. A Fender Rumble 150 which is 5.5 lb. (160 watts @ 4 ohms) will provide the Peavey speaker with 40 watts. A Fender Jazzmaster Microlite which is 7.5 lb (250 watts @ 4 ohms) will provide the Peavey speaker with 62.5 watts. Either amp is light and compact enough to fit in your utility backpack. The MarkBass amp would probably work just as well if it's solid state and the wattage is high enough, and assuming you don't have qualms about leaving gear in your car.
    Last edited by spellcaster; 10-04-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Yeah I am deliberating over this. Do I stick with the Peavey with mods or sell it and upgrade to something better?

I haven't decided yet- I have always liked the Peavey but it could be time for something else. I rehearsed with the band with the Markbass today and I was not happy with the sound. Sure in a real pinch it would be okay but I don't think I can play through it while my amp is in the shop. I might need to take a vintage amp out this coming weekend. If I buy a new primary amp it would be something I consider over time, not an impulse buy.

I do like the idea of the portable rumble or similar however. Slip it in the backpack and if I have a failure plug it in and go.

I was going to suggest getting your amp tech to put a speaker jack on the back of the chassis, but I prefer Spell's suggestion.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

The Rumble (other other flat SS head) is an absolute go. I really have to go over to a store to see what is compact and has reasonable output as an emergency backup. Tone would probably be secondary as this would be a case where I simply need SOMETHING to get through a gig in a failure.

Image is extremely important for our band and I regard component failures as a reflection on my not adequately preparing a backup solution. I'm a little embarrassed that I went into a gig not being ready for a potential failure. It won't happen again.

Cutting the speaker line and replacing it with 1/4 jacks on both sides makes a lot of sense as an easy and quick contingency plan. Although I still don't love the impedance mismatch and frankly the Blue Marvel speaker is only okay.

Update...

Since the Peavey is still in the shop I made a command decision and brought my Markbass amp to today's gig. This amp is 100% dependable (SS) and very lightweight for its power but it sounds very dry at home in our carpeted studio. However where we played was not carpeted and the amp sounded surprisingly good. I wouldn't want to bring it to every gig for sure but it certainly gets the job done in a pinch. Most likely I will bring it to the gigs next weekend if I don't have the PEavey back.

Good news to hear.

I do like the Mark amps I have tried.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I had a similar malfunction with my HRD.... The heat from the tubes weakened the solder joints holding the tube sockets to the PCB, causing some very odd behavior. Glad to hear you got a backup

Ultimately the Peavey is going to be replaced by something point to point. The Peavey has served me well but it is like a car- once you have a major breakdown in it, it makes you wonder when the next things is going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Ultimately the Peavey is going to be replaced by something point to point. The Peavey has served me well but it is like a car- once you have a major breakdown in it, it makes you wonder when the next things is going to go.
    Lol, you've been watching me and my beater Cavalier too long...It's got you paranoid.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."