Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Amp Day

I sometimes wonder if, as the supply of older Fenders dries up, will the Canadian tube amps like Garnets, Yorkvilles and Traynors become the next wave of vintage amp gear that people covet.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm wondering if vintage Ampegs will ever get any love!

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I sometimes wonder if, as the supply of older Fenders dries up, will the Canadian tube amps like Garnets, Yorkvilles and Traynors become the next wave of vintage amp gear that people covet.
    Some people already do covet them...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Um, some of us already do...
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

You could say this about a lot of instrument brands. In the vintage trumpet world people look for Bachs and Martin Committees. You buy a brand like Buescher and you can get it for next to nothing, yet they are professional grade instruments that would cost thousands if new. I have bought piles of 1920's and earlier cornets on EBAY by Buesher for like $20-30. Just no market.

So buy up those Canadian amps while you can- if you can find an alternative to Fender that is comparable for less money it is a win!

Oh, and then send one to me!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...I have bought piles of 1920's and earlier cornets on EBAY by Buesher for like $20-30...
    So um, do you still have piles of old cornets?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...So buy up those Canadian amps while you can...
    They are already getting quite expensive. Traynor amps from the 70s go for around $700CAN these days. I have seen the same Garnet head that I now have, go for $900US on ebay

And yet, I know that is nothing compared to the prices the old Fenders get.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I have more than a dozen cornets from the 1930's and earlier- I don't even know how many at this point.

In fact the one Florian plays in concerts is a 1915 Buescher model 15 that I think I paid a whopping $20 for on EBAY. I did have a valve job done to make the thing performance ready but it is a wonderful horn. Margaret's cornet is a beautiful 1933 Buescher with nickel silver slides and stepped/ ridged bell- this was a VERY high end horn in its day. It is stunning to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Um, some of us already do...
    See I knew it!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.