Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Amp Day

New Amp Day

Back in the late 70s, I had a white Garnet Session Man. I sold it a few years later, and I have no idea why. I have been looking for one for a while now…

A local store had this one. It's the vocal 4-channel version of my amp. No second guitar channel with a mid control and tremolo. But it does have reverb and it has 4 inputs. Considering my current habit of running two or three pedal boards with organ pedals and various other noise-makers, this could even be a better amp for me than the guitar version of the Session Man. I could even run my keyboards or lap steel into it!

I have it set up in my living room, running into a Peavey 112e with an 8 ohm Greenback in it. I have my stereo out from my pedal board running into the Session Man and a Traynor YGL1. The YGL1 does not have much bottom, and the Session Man has tons of bottom, so between the two of them it is a great sound!

I don't know when my next band gig will be - probably in the new year. But I can't wait to try this thing out live. It is really loud!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	3836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	3837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	3838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	3839  
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Congratulations DW!

You are really on a roll today!

Happy NAD, DW! Talk about a trip down memory lane.....I remember looking at one of these new in the local music store when I was a teenager. Cool amp, and it's Canadian, eh?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Garnets are cool, and often under-appreciated amps--enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've never heard of the brand- probably not available in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Garnet was a manufacturer of some pretty fine Canadian amps and an effect that was unique in the market....The Herzog. Randy Bachman used the Herzog to produce that larger-than-life guitar sound in the Guess Who's "American Woman".

History of the Garnet Amplifier Company - garnetamps.com - Home of the Garnet Amplifier Company
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Awesome amp! I had a buddy that had one of those & they are seriously underrated. Very cool.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Garnet was a manufacturer of some pretty fine Canadian amps and an effect that was unique in the market....The Herzog. Randy Bachman used the Herzog to produce that larger-than-life guitar sound in the Guess Who's "American Woman".

History of the Garnet Amplifier Company - garnetamps.com - Home of the Garnet Amplifier Company
    That's the website I always point people to when referencing people to garnet amps.

I have a couple of Garnet stencils from when I started on electric & then on bass.
    Garnet Stencils were amps they built to be branded with other names.
    They have a page about those on that site--they can be ought after as well, probably less than the ones that say "Garnet"--but good amps in their own right.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    They can be found down there occasionally, but only vintage amps, as they have not been made for decades.
    They are hard to find up here as well! that's why I bought this one.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

In the early 2000s, I was playing some shows in Winnipeg. The other guitar player and I looked up some music stores in the yellow pages and went for a walk. It was the middle of summer.
    One of the "music stores" was this little shop in the top corner of auto-body shop. Basically all that was there were some old Garnets, and some Canadian-made guitars. I can't remember the brand name, but Alan Thick used to play them on his noon TV show. Olympic, maybe?
    The toilet had a RUSH sticker on it. But it was just red on white, bold capital letters. Not the font from their debut record. So that toilet had been there since the early 70s.
    It turns out that the building had been the Garnet factory, and this little music store (more of a museum really) was all that was left. That might have been Gar Gillies running the shop. I can't remember. But when he told us about the shop, I told him about my white Session Man and how much I regretted selling it.

(I may have told this story here before...)