Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Champ

Yeah! I got to pick it up at noon today. I've been playing it steady for about 3 hours now & will say that the Fender styled guitars sound excellent. They really got the tweed & blackface tones right & for me those are two out of the three I was after. So far I am not as impressed with the humbucker tone on it. It will need some fine tuning. The little speaker I made with the vintage CTS 10 inch sounds great with it so I'm thinking I will stick with that. It's refurbished & was standard issue on a lot of vintage Fender amps so it's in it's element. & Last but very not least I finally have nice tone at a respectable volume. This little Champ & CTS speaker are going to be my sidekick for a long time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161230_135950913.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	3865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161230_173814338.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	3866  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Congrats on the new amp, Kele!

Different musical jobs require different amps. Just as different hauling jobs require different vehicles (sedan, wagon, van, truck, semi...)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Nice set up.

I have the cab & speaker from an old combo amp I got for a couple of bucks a few years ago--the speaker doesn't have any wires going ot the jack--not are the jack or controls still there.
    If I had a head & the ohms matched--how difficult would it be to wire up a jack & sue a speaker cable to hook it up as a cab with an amp head?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Simple its just two wires just isolate the two wires to an external female jack. What took the time on this little cab was making the baffle which I used its back for it. Then on good advise I left the back almost completely open. If there is not enough cab to enhance the sound like bottom end then leave the back open. Do you know he ohm rating of the speaker?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	3867  

I've got two Super Champ XD's, that I've owned for at least 8 years. As a working musician, I've used them a lot, while giving guitar lessons. I'm a 6V6 guy, and the SCXD's can really sound good, at low volume. I run Eminence Legend 105-8 speakers in mine, giving me more volume and clean headroom. I'm able to use the amps for venues, of up to about 200 people. I've also carried it, as a backup, when I was promised, a backline of amps. I once played an outdoor show at a Harley Davidson dealer. Bikers were riding between the stage and the audience. All they provided was a PA. So I just rand the Line Out, to the PA, and played the show.

Vox TB18C1, Fender SCXD and Laney Cub 10 (all 2 X 6V6).

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    Simple its just two wires just isolate the two wires to an external female jack. What took the time on this little cab was making the baffle which I used its back for it. Then on good advise I left the back almost completely open. If there is not enough cab to enhance the sound like bottom end then leave the back open. Do you know he ohm rating of the speaker?
    Cool, thanks--wasn't sure if I needed anything in between.
    I don't know the ohms off the top of my head, but as soon as I am finished my lunch I will be playing some guitar & bass--so I can look then.
    It may be a while before I buy a small amp head--but unless the speaker is shot I should be able to rig up a cab for it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    ...I have the cab & speaker from an old combo amp I got for a couple of bucks a few years ago--
    What kind of amp is/was it? A Garnet stencil, perhaps?
    Pics, please.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

It's from a Fender G-Dec--not sure if the speaker is original or not--and I am prepared hat it may be trashed & I'll need to get a new one.
    It was only a couple of bucks.
    People pay more than that for the Fender logo on the front.

My Garnet Stencils are all in one piece.
    Although if I find the right person I could be persuaded to sell one.
    Someone once made a more than fair offer on my guitar one--if it was tube--but alas it is solid state
    the bass one--which I had lent out at that time is a tube amp.

So for now they stay as is.

OK after spending some time with this thing I realize that I got exactly what I was after. The volume is perfect for what I needed & the versitility is great. I hooked it up to my laptop through Fender Fuse & found I had every setting to fine tune my tone into exactly what I'm after. Numerous amps & speaker cabs. Solid state or not it's response to string picking & attack is very tube like. My Little Les Paul with 70s T top humbucker's through the Fender Super Sonic setting at a low gain is like humbucker heaven. A nice crunch with a sweet mid range snarl. I have just got started with this thing. Having a ball.

congrats! Glad you got what you wanted KC