Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Champ

Super Champ

I have been searching for a while for an amp that I would use strictly at home. Today I ordered what I hope can give me what I need from it. My dilemma in this attached home is volume. In respect to my neighbors I can't use my 68 super reverb in this place. What I need is decent tone at lower volumes. I went out & tried all sorts of small tube amps & I will say that they all sounded great. In the end I want a versatile amp that I can get the most out of all my guitars not just compliment a few. I don't want a bunch of pedals to get the sounds I want because It will sit right beside me in my easy chair so compact is key. So what I ended up buying is a head version of one of these. It wasn't crazy expensive so maybe in a few years I will get something else. I have a small cab with a vintage single 10 CTS speaker I will use for now & will probably buy the matching 12 inch speaker cab in a few months. I have to wait till at least friday to get it so I will give you he play by play of its performance soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcFDbtd7MA
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

That's an interesting amp. I always assumed they were solid state, so I never really much attention to them before. HNAD, KC.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've played through them--they are cool amps with lots of sound options--great choice for what you are looking for.

Enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Aren't they SS with a tube preamp?

Yes it's SS with tubes for basically flavor. SS is better for lower volume. Tube amps turning up the volume are like nothing nothing nothing too loud for this place.

I've always liked hybrid amps...
    The old Legend amps are one of my favorites--the solid state part made for very clean cleans, and the tubes gave great dirt--and there was middle ground I loved as well.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I was under the impression after going through the specs that there was a single 12AX7 for the preamp and a pair of push-pull 6V6 outputs. Generally the amps I hear optimistically called hybrid amps are solid-state power sections driven by a solid-state preamp that wishfully emulates a tube preamp with a single 12AX7. The one in my Vox Valve Reactor VR29rR worked tastefully. At the other end of the scale. the Ampeg SVT-6 PRO, mostly sold state with a couple of tubes was probably the worst bass amp I've ever played.

I think that Super Champ will turn out to be one of the credible ones.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I have nothing against tube or solidstate--there are good & bad examples of both--as well as good & bad examples of hybrids--so I don't judge an amp by that.
    I have tube & solidstate--and a digital amp as well.

I like them all.

I'm pretty sure there are guys on this forum with this amp- doesn't ATMike have one?

I'm a tube guy. Any live play I will be using my old Super reverb. Unfortunately they need to be driven pretty hard to get your money's worth out of them. Given the environment suitable for them they have a string response like nothing else. This was a totally different angle in what is usually sought-after in the purchase of a guitar amp. In my search I had to laugh because on every sales pitch in every add "Loud" was a major highlight. That was not what I am after. I had to fight my old ways on what I want out of a live amp. I really liked the Hughes & Kettner 18 a lot but when I found I was really falling in love with the tone of it I had it cranked above where I needed to be at home. Kinda defeats the purpose on what I'm purchasing if I have two amps that I can't use because they are both too loud. I contemplated going all the way solid state & buying a Roland Blue's Cube hot 30. It was almost twice the money so I opted to give the little Fender a shot. This has been a strange hunt to say the least.