Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pignose G40V

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I just can't get past the name. The first time I heard of them, I recoiled over the name.
    The older ones are considerably better than the new ones. But let's not kid ourselves- these are not professional amps. For a person who wants to try out a cheap and loud tube amp it is a good entry point. When I use this as a backup amp I am pretty sure nobody would ever know the brand of the amp because the head unit is pretty nondescript.

I have to confess, in the 80's, I owned an amp called a Piggy. It was about the size and shape of a Princeton Reverb with a natural maple butcher-block style cabinet. I bought it in a Woolworth's record department, so not high-end (Although it was a decent 20 watt/8" solid state amp...Just typical cheap-sounding reverb). I think it was the Gorilla amp's big brother.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Funny names people give their amps sometimes--it's part of the fun though.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I have to confess, in the 80's, I owned an amp called a Piggy. It was about the size and shape of a Princeton Reverb with a natural maple butcher-block style cabinet. I bought it in a Woolworth's record department, so not high-end (Although it was a decent 20 watt/8" solid state amp...Just typical cheap-sounding reverb). I think it was the Gorilla amp's big brother.
    Wow a Woolworth amp- those were the days!

I have a Aria Pro II LA-40 Loco Boy Mini amp--you plug it into the guitar directly--it is a small speaker, plug & on/off switch.
    The volume is controlled on your guitar--and it overdrives very easily--very little headroom
    Scroll down a bit

Although it wouldn't have met dB's needs.
    It is powered by 2 9volt batteries.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...I wonder if there is any way the low end could be improved cheaply by swapping a cap?...
    I was going to suggest that you swap the speaker, but then I read more of the thread.

You have the head version, correct? Not the combo?
    So forget my suggestion.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I was going to suggest that you swap the speaker, but then I read more of the thread.

You have the head version, correct? Not the combo?
    So forget my suggestion.
    Go with it anyway--I mean that's something everybody could do right?

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I have a Aria Pro II LA-40 Loco Boy Mini amp--
    Wow - I have a "Loco Boy Tube Maniax" that I inherited from a close friend. I never thought to search for the company. Thanks for the link, ZT.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Wow - I have a "Loco Boy Tube Maniax" that I inherited from a close friend. I never thought to search for the company. Thanks for the link, ZT.
    I was surprised what I found when I did the search for my Loco Boy amp...

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Go with it anyway--I mean that's something everybody could do right?
    Sure I could plug it into another cab a today but I think I can safely say that the low end of the amp is not great. It is intended to be an emergency amp anyway.