Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Pignose G40V

  1. #11
    Super Moderator die Bullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westfield, NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24,897
    Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I just can't get past the name. The first time I heard of them, I recoiled over the name.
    The older ones are considerably better than the new ones. But let's not kid ourselves- these are not professional amps. For a person who wants to try out a cheap and loud tube amp it is a good entry point. When I use this as a backup amp I am pretty sure nobody would ever know the brand of the amp because the head unit is pretty nondescript.

  2. #12
    Axe-honerated spellcaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duncan, British Columbia, Canada
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,017
    I have to confess, in the 80's, I owned an amp called a Piggy. It was about the size and shape of a Princeton Reverb with a natural maple butcher-block style cabinet. I bought it in a Woolworth's record department, so not high-end (Although it was a decent 20 watt/8" solid state amp...Just typical cheap-sounding reverb). I think it was the Gorilla amp's big brother.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

  3. #13
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    25,994
    Funny names people give their amps sometimes--it's part of the fun though.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  4. #14
    Super Moderator die Bullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westfield, NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24,897
    Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I have to confess, in the 80's, I owned an amp called a Piggy. It was about the size and shape of a Princeton Reverb with a natural maple butcher-block style cabinet. I bought it in a Woolworth's record department, so not high-end (Although it was a decent 20 watt/8" solid state amp...Just typical cheap-sounding reverb). I think it was the Gorilla amp's big brother.
    Wow a Woolworth amp- those were the days!

  5. #15
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    25,994
    I have a Aria Pro II LA-40 Loco Boy Mini amp--you plug it into the guitar directly--it is a small speaker, plug & on/off switch.
    The volume is controlled on your guitar--and it overdrives very easily--very little headroom
    Scroll down a bit

    Although it wouldn't have met dB's needs.
    It is powered by 2 9volt batteries.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  6. #16
    Axetastic doublewah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ...I wonder if there is any way the low end could be improved cheaply by swapping a cap?...
    I was going to suggest that you swap the speaker, but then I read more of the thread.

    You have the head version, correct? Not the combo?
    So forget my suggestion.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

  7. #17
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    25,994
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I was going to suggest that you swap the speaker, but then I read more of the thread.

    You have the head version, correct? Not the combo?
    So forget my suggestion.
    Go with it anyway--I mean that's something everybody could do right?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  8. #18
    Axetastic doublewah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I have a Aria Pro II LA-40 Loco Boy Mini amp--
    Wow - I have a "Loco Boy Tube Maniax" that I inherited from a close friend. I never thought to search for the company. Thanks for the link, ZT.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

  9. #19
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    25,994
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Wow - I have a "Loco Boy Tube Maniax" that I inherited from a close friend. I never thought to search for the company. Thanks for the link, ZT.
    I was surprised what I found when I did the search for my Loco Boy amp...

    You're welcome
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  10. #20
    Super Moderator die Bullen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westfield, NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    24,897
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Go with it anyway--I mean that's something everybody could do right?
    Sure I could plug it into another cab a today but I think I can safely say that the low end of the amp is not great. It is intended to be an emergency amp anyway.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •