Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pignose G40V

Pignose G40V

So finally I hooked up the Pignose G40V that I got off a friend last year and wired it though a cab. I've had the thing for months and never really put it through the paces.

My opinion- not a bad amp, especially for the price. I got it as an emergency backup that I can throw in the car and use in case my primary amp fails on a gig.

The pro is the amp is surprisingly loud for its size. At 40 tube watts it has more than enough volume for most normal gigs.

The con is the amp has very little low end at all. Lots of treble and mids but the bass is disappointing with no real punch. Of course it is a bit unfair to compare this $100 amp to a Dr. Z Maz38 that cost 20 times as much.

That said as an emergency backup in a small cab it is certainly better than being down hard on a gig.

I think I remember you asking about head cabinets at one point, dB. Was it this amp you were talking about?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Yes.

Mike R. is going to build a head cab for it but I have another power amp that has been sitting on a shelf that I meant to throw into a makeshift cab, and I finally did that this weekend.

Probably I'd be happier with a bass amp as a backup but for the money the Pignose is fine. Does a small bass tube head amp even exist?

I have a friend who used to use a Pignose into a Fender Deluxe reverb--he loved the overdrive he got from it.
    He could crank up the Pignose & stay within the headroom of the Fender
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

It is loud for its size and cost......

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Does a small bass tube head amp even exist?
    Probably...
    Although some of the results weren't tube amps.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah none of these are really what I meant...

The Pignose does have the advantages of being small and loud so like I said if your main amp has issues it will get you through the show. The single coil hum is annoying but that might be the guitar more than the amp. For the money it would probably be a great entry level amp for someone who wants to try out a tube amp for the first time. Of course they haven't made them in a long time so they are probably not easy to find.

I wonder if there is any way the low end could be improved cheaply by swapping a cap? (No I wouldn't do this myself)

Hmm, now you have me thinking about getting a Pignose any way...

I just can't get past the name. The first time I heard of them, I recoiled over the name.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I just can't get past the name. The first time I heard of them, I recoiled over the name.
    I like the name--and especially the pignose shaped knobs...