Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAD

Yeah, although my 100 watt tube amp is incredibly loud. Then again the 38 watter is no slouch either.

My 12 watt amps however would not be a good choice on a gig- they are really not powerful enough for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Yeah, although my 100 watt tube amp is incredibly loud. Then again the 38 watter is no slouch either.

My 12 watt amps however would not be a good choice on a gig- they are really not powerful enough for my purposes.
    Part of that also depends on the speaker(s)

Through a 4x12 cab you can gain some volume--or at least apparent volume.

I once jammed with a friend playing a 60 combo watt amp through a 12 inch speaker
    He had a 50 watt amp through a 4x12 cab--so better sound dispersion--and I had to turn up more than normal to be heard.

I also once played a 1 watt amp though a 4x12--and it had plenty of roar to the sound.

Of course if you are able to mic it and put it through a PA--then the watts matter less to the overall volume--but can still affect the sound.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yes of course speakers are part of the equation but in my case I generally need a higher watt amp for a couple reasons:

1- Clear and defined bass from the guitar is very important to me- we often don't have a bass player, leaving me to do the job.
    2- I need as much clean tone as I can get.

Remember my needs are probably widely different from yours.

It's not so much a matter of needs I was referring to--but pointing out that with different speakers & cabs, etc an amp's sound & volume are affected.
    Where the needs (& preferences, etc) come in is in what you use, buy, rent, try, etc.

So we're extolling the same principle, but we would have different preferences in what we would like--which is totally fine.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The main thing is you got what you wanted...

I find it interesting that when discussions happen regarding amp power and headroom, most of it is in regard to wattage. It's obviously a significant part of the equation, but talk about speaker efficiency rarely happens.

That 20 watt output of zontar's new amp could be tailored to be a gigging monster with a high-efficiency speaker, or groomed to be a good bedroom amp with a conservative speaker choice. I think, power-wise, it's in a good range for lots of applications..
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I find it interesting that when discussions happen regarding amp power and headroom, most of it is in regard to wattage. It's obviously a significant part of the equation, but talk about speaker efficiency rarely happens.

That 20 watt output of zontar's new amp could be tailored to be a gigging monster with a high-efficiency speaker, or groomed to be a good bedroom amp with a conservative speaker choice. I think, power-wise, it's in a good range for lots of applications..
    Yes, that's a good summary/clarification of what I was trying to say--but said better than I did...
    Now I just need some speaker wire, a jack & the tabs or whatever they are called that clip onto the speaker (Clips?)
    And I'll see how good that speaker I have in a former combo amp's cab.
    I'm not expecting a fantastic speaker--but hopefully it's decent enough for home.
    If not--then I'll price out how much it is to get a proper cab or to get a new speaker.

Without a doubt speaker efficiency is very important. I upgraded the speakers in one of my amps to a very nice and efficient EV- changed the whole character of the amp.

What could be the setup for the gigging monster? 20w head + 4X12 speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    What could be the setup for the gigging monster? 20w head + 4X12 speakers?
    It would work--depending on the venue--but also the speaker quality.
    I've heard a 1 watt amp drive a 4x12 cab--and it got great growl and wasn't quiet--sure--add in bass & drums & it wouldn't be all that great--but a 4x12 cab--or even less could work in some setting--of course it could also be mic'd...