Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAD

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    What could be the setup for the gigging monster? 20w head + 4X12 speakers?
    To use a 20 watt head in a live gigging situation, you'd want high efficiency speakers. It's not so much about more speakers, but speakers with a higher SPL rating. (SPL is Sound Pressure Level, and it describes the decibel rating using a 1000 hertz tone, with one watt of power, measured one meter in front of the cone). Speakers typically measure in the low to mid-90's, whereas a JBL, which is what I use, is 103 dB, 1 watt, 1 meter, so much higher output given the same amount of power.

To give you an idea, I used to own a 1966 Fender Champ, which is a 5 watt single-ended tube amp with a single 6V6 power tube, and it normally uses a built-in 8" speaker. When I connected that amp to my Fender Dual Showman cabinet (which has two JBL D-130F 15" speakers), it was much louder than our rhythm guitar player's 100 watt Fender MH100 amp with a 4x12" half-stack cabinet. I'm guessing that zontar's new 20 watt amp would be able to keep up with a loud drummer if it was connected to a single JBL D-120F 12" speaker. (The old blackface Fender Twin Reverbs used to use a pair of JBL D-120F 12's and they were loud enough to make your ears bleed)
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    To use a 20 watt head in a live gigging situation, you'd want high efficiency speakers. It's not so much about more speakers, but speakers with a higher SPL rating. (SPL is Sound Pressure Level, and it describes the decibel rating using a 1000 hertz tone, with one watt of power, measured one meter in front of the cone). Speakers typically measure in the low to mid-90's, whereas a JBL, which is what I use, is 103 dB, 1 watt, 1 meter, so much higher output given the same amount of power.

To give you an idea, I used to own a 1966 Fender Champ, which is a 5 watt single-ended tube amp with a single 6V6 power tube, and it normally uses a built-in 8" speaker. When I connected that amp to my Fender Dual Showman cabinet (which has two JBL D-130F 15" speakers), it was much louder than our rhythm guitar player's 100 watt Fender MH100 amp with a 4x12" half-stack cabinet. I'm guessing that zontar's new 20 watt amp would be able to keep up with a loud drummer if it was connected to a single JBL D-120F 12" speaker. (The old blackface Fender Twin Reverbs used to use a pair of JBL D-120F 12's and they were loud enough to make your ears bleed)
    The thing is, if I ever get to Melbourne, Im planning to purchase the same amp, these orange amps are really nice looking into with their smallish heads.. but Id want to be able to have a nice cab for gig (just in case) and a bedroom setup as well.

JBL is the only maker for these hi-ef speakers?

Lots of manufacturers make higher efficiency speakers- like I said my EV speaker is GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    The thing is, if I ever get to Melbourne, Im planning to purchase the same amp, these orange amps are really nice looking into with their smallish heads.. but Id want to be able to have a nice cab for gig (just in case) and a bedroom setup as well.

JBL is the only maker for these hi-ef speakers?
    Not by any means. There are undoubtedly many to choose from. I just used JBL as an example because I've had first-hand experience with them. When you're looking at speaker specs, take note of the SPL ratings. Higher (larger number) is better in terms of efficiency. It won't tell you everything about how a speaker will sound, but it's a starting point to figure out which ones you might want to audition. In all honesty, it's been a while since I've been speaker-shopping, so I'm not as conversant with current models....But, I'd suggest it might be worthwhile looking at what Weber has to offer. I've read several places that Weber does good work reconing some of the classic JBL's that are tough to get OEM recone kits for, and if a company successfully recones speakers like JBL's that have huge (4") voice coils, there's a pretty good chance that they offer some high efficiency models in their own line.

All a balance. As SC hints at louder/ high efficiency is not actually always better....

I've experienced that.
    And here a NAD thread gets into speaker discussion (And the amp is a head)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I've experienced that.
    Well the speakers are the other side of the equation...

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I've experienced that.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Just happens sometimes...

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread.
    No problem--you comments were helpful and relevant.
    Good discussion--just commenting how the thread took a turn beyond the usual--"Here's my new gear--I love it!"
    Followed by--"Cool--congrats"
    There is more to it.

Oh, and pictures to come soon.
    I hope
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.