Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Groundbreaking Fender Amps That Never Caught On

The Dr. Z get loud very quickly. Around 1 even the slightest adjustment makes a big difference

When i was in high school I plugged in that large bass amp, cranked it up & played my bass.
    My mom was visiting a neighbour--4 or 5 houses away and when she got home she asked if I was playing bass while she was gone--they heard it for the brief time I had it cranked
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm not surprised!

I mentioned I have played a Cyber Twin--just reviewing the summary for that one from the article:
    Why It Was Cool: The Fender Cyber Twin is arguably Fenderís bestĖsounding modeling amplifier, though some feel it has been eclipsed by other offerings from the company. It also had motorized knobs to recall presets, and though this technology was occasionally prone to failure, it was mesmerizing to see in person.

Why It Didnít Catch On: The Cyber Twin is inferior to the Mustang in one key area: usability. The controls are hard to dial in, and in order to really get the most out of the amp, youíre going to need to keep a copy of the manual handy. The amp was also launched before modeling amps were as widely accepted as they are now.
    The motorized knobs look cool--but audiences wouldn't really see it.

And no matter what you think about modeling amps--I don't hate them--I own & use one--a bottom of the line Fender G-Dec Jr
    Not anywhere near as many options as most of the Mustang amps (I haven't compared it with the smaller battery operated one) and certainly fewer than the bigger G-Decs...
    But it is a fun amp to play--it has backing tracks as well...
    But if I had more cash when I saw it--I may have bought the Cyber Twin or the smaller Cyber Champ
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    And no matter what you think about modeling amps--I don't hate them--I own & use one--a bottom of the line Fender G-Dec Jr
    Not anywhere near as many options as most of the Mustang amps (I haven't compared it with the smaller battery operated one) and certainly fewer than the bigger G-Decs...
    But it is a fun amp to play--it has backing tracks as well...
    Hey cool that it works for you!

It does work for me--mostly it's a practice amp--but cool sounds & the fun backing tracks....

but the next amp on that list is the Jazz King--and the article had this summary:
    Why It Was Cool: The Fender Jazz King is an amazing amplifier for jazz. It has a dark and warm voicing, plenty of headroom, and the clarity that you only get with a good solid–state amplifier.

Why It Didn’t Catch On: The Fender Jazz King is an amazing amplifier for jazz… and not much else. The amp’s dark and clear tone makes it really versatile within that genre, but it’s just not a good choice for anything else. It’s also heavy, which tends to somewhat limit its appeal for gigging musicians.
    The weight is a drawback for me--but I don't mind transistor amps...
    many take pedals very well.

But is does depend what kind of sound you are going for--and what style of music you would be playing.

I'd like to hear it stack up against a Roland

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'd like to hear it stack up against a Roland
    that could be interesting--I have a JC560--and it's a real nice amp--but definitely different from a Fender

I'd think that Jazz King probably meant to compete against the Roland

Well it is 20 more watts than the 120--and 80 more than my JC-60...