Thread: Are Expensive Amps Really "Better"?

Are Expensive Amps Really "Better"?

Are Expensive Amps Really "Better"?
    Well?

Check out the article & share your thoughts...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I find these expensive amps mess with my thinking, and giving me an assumption that expensive = better. But then again, I have no experience on high-end boutique ones, only played through mass produced Vox and Fenders..

There's probably a case for better amps in some respects.....Things like panel mounted jacks instead of made-to-self-destruct jacks soldered to printed circuit baords are one good reason to move up into a high-end product.

I'm not sure that expensive amps necessarily sound a lot better......maybe small things, but in the real world, will anybody at a gig really hear that much difference? I think that if you opt for an expensive amp, it's got to be about how you feel about it - You're the only one that'll really appreciate it.

I sold audio gear for many years, and found that electronics follows a pattern.....There's a law of diminishing returns. You have to spend a great deal more for small improvements.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    There's probably a case for better amps in some respects.....Things like panel mounted jacks instead of made-to-self-destruct jacks soldered to printed circuit baords are one good reason to move up into a high-end product.

I'm not sure that expensive amps necessarily sound a lot better......maybe small things, but in the real world, will anybody at a gig really hear that much difference? I think that if you opt for an expensive amp, it's got to be about how you feel about it - You're the only one that'll really appreciate it.

I sold audio gear for many years, and found that electronics follows a pattern.....There's a law of diminishing returns. You have to spend a great deal more for small improvements.
    Sure, I get the quality vs quantity. Also the "handwired" stuff, and all the labor that goes into it. Same goes for a truly handmade guitar, there's a feel, heft, quality..

on amps, it may last a lifetime, If i have the money, sure, I'll be getting truly handwired copies of my dream amps, but is it really what I want? or the charm of an original mass produced ones made in the 50's? Im not into buying vintage equipment because I dont have the money, but Id love to have one and Id love to have high-end amps as well. LOL

It all depends on what you are doing with it, what you can afford--and most importantly, the sound.

If you play at home then you don't need an expensive amp.

But if you can afford one & want one--okay--cool.

We all need to choose--and I have played through expensive amps that sounded great, but don't make sense for me to buy.

So are the sound, functionality, durability & suitability to my purpose for it worth the price to you?
    Might be.
    Might not be...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.