Thread: Sort of NCD (New cab?/new cable?)

Sort of NCD (New cab?/new cable?)

Not sure how to word this--but I did do a NAD day for my Orange Micro Dark head (hybrid)
    I initially used it just with headphones
    I also previously to that had a gutted Fender amp I got as part of a deal.
    It's a cabinet & the speaker, but the map parts are all gone--including the jack.

So initially I was planning on checking on getting a new jack & some wires & the clips to attach to the speaker.

Then I found online that you can buy a cable that attaches between your amp head (Speaker out jack--where the speaker cable would normally go)--and the other end has the clips to fit on the tabs of the speaker.)
    So I got one & wasn't abel to test it right away, but it works!

So now I can play my Orange MicroDark amp through headphones or through this cab.

I wasn't sure on the quality of the speaker--and it's not perfect or the best--but it works with this amp & for what I am doing with it at home & ocassional home recording.

So I am happy with that & my gear fund has something moved from it.

That doesn't mean I might not get a better cab at some future point, but for now my meagre gear fund will get a reprieve from cabs & I can focus on other stuff.

I may post a picture of the amp & cab together at some point.
    (And it only took two years to sort that out)

The cable looks like this picture I found online.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Cool, always nice to have some new versatility with your gear!

Great, it's nice to finally be able to re-purpose the cabinet.

I did something similar a few years back. I was given a Park by Marshall amp that worked, but the input jack was one of those cheap POS things that only mounts by the solder joints on the printed circuit board. My tech tried to order the parts from Marshall in England, but the jack was going to cost more than the amp was worth. I stripped the electronics out and tweed-fabriced the front panel of the chassis, and converted it to an extension speaker cabinet. I wanted to be able to use a standard speaker cable with normal 1/4" TRS plugs, so I mounted a Strat jack plate and wired the jack to the speaker terminals.

I still haven't used the cabinet....I expect my Twin Reverb would kill that poor little 8" speaker pretty quick, lol.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Cool, always nice to have some new versatility with your gear!
    It is.
    Playing it with headphones is cool & all, but sometimes you just need a bigger speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Great, it's nice to finally be able to re-purpose the cabinet.

I did something similar a few years back. I was given a Park by Marshall amp that worked, but the input jack was one of those cheap POS things that only mounts by the solder joints on the printed circuit board. My tech tried to order the parts from Marshall in England, but the jack was going to cost more than the amp was worth. I stripped the electronics out and tweed-fabriced the front panel of the chassis, and converted it to an extension speaker cabinet. I wanted to be able to use a standard speaker cable with normal 1/4" TRS plugs, so I mounted a Strat jack plate and wired the jack to the speaker terminals.

I still haven't used the cabinet....I expect my Twin Reverb would kill that poor little 8" speaker pretty quick, lol.
    Cool, go for it!

I have a jack I could have used if I got the proper speaker wire & clips & knew how to solder (Or got someone to do it for me.)
    So this cable was a great solution for me.

Some time ago when I had my Peavey Classic 30 in for service, I had it rewired so the head unit is no longer hard wired to the speaker but now operates with a jack. So I use the Peavey as an extension cabinet

Some time ago when I had my Peavey Classic 30 in for service, I had it rewired so the head unit is no longer hard wired to the speaker but now operates with a jack. So I use the Peavey as an extension cabinet
    Cool.
    Similar thing I guess, except it sounds like you didn't gut the map parts...

I think mine was an amp that died and they had the speaker & cab--but hey--it works.
    Most cabs are not cheap--best prices I found were an Orange cab & a Vox cab--both with 8" speakers for $130-140.
    This cost me much less & has a 10" speaker
    (I already have a Fender G-Dec Jr with an 8" speaker. I wanted a 10" speaker, and cabs similar to the Orange & Vox ones with a 10" instead of 8" speaker rose dramatically in price)
    Maybe one day I will buy the matching Orange Cab.
    But for now my Gear fund may end up going towards pedalboard parts and/or a cheap keyboard.

If you are like me, you probably need another amp like you need a hole in the head!

If you are like me, you probably need another amp like you need a hole in the head!
    I don't know--I find my nostrils, ears & mouth--as well as the holes my eyes see out of--to be quite useful.

Actually while I don't technically need another amp-I really could use another amp--a small all tube combo for example-then I could hook up to that, my Micro Dark & my G-Dec Jr--cool sounds...