Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audience participation gone wrong

Audience participation gone wrong

Ever had this happen to you? ......You're out gigging, starting to cook, and then the crowd decides to clap.......completely out of time with the band.

"I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Yes.

But these guys are lip-syncing, so it shouldn't throw them off.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Yes.

But these guys are lip-syncing, so it shouldn't throw them off.
    Are they? I was going through their videos online and I think I can hear differences in that clip from the original recording and the two more recent ones that I found. But, my eyes are bad.....maybe you can see something I can't. I have to say, when I listen to this band, the sound and production values aren't consistently good, but they really nail the flavour of the original hits. I like that in an artist.

I wonder if something like that would really throw me off?

Years ago, one of the places my band frequently played was an Eagles Hall with bad acoustics......There was a slap-back echo off the back wall that made it tough to play. The worst part was later in the evening when people, lubricated with a few drinks, decided to clap along - And, without fail, they'd clap to the echo instead of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Are they? I was going through their videos online and I think I can hear differences in that clip from the original recording and the two more recent ones that I found...
    Okay, maybe I am in error. I did not do the research you did, I just really thought what I heard sounded like the way I remember the recorded version sounding.

If that really is the band live, they are way better than the Kinks!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    ...people, lubricated with a few drinks, decided to clap along - And, without fail, they'd clap to the echo instead of the band.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was playing acoustic guitar at a a small gig for about 20 people. At one point, a woman on each far end (about 30 feet apart) decided to clap along. Luckily for me, they both kept good time, AND both knew where the backbeat was.
    I had to stand exactly between them, or else we all got out of time. It was a pretty cool phenomenon. I tried stepping a bit to the left and to the right, but there was one sweet spot where we all locked in.

A few years ago, I was playing very big stages a lot. Walking from beside the drummer, to the far end of the stage, I could hear/feel the difference between what I was playing and what I was hearing from the band and my amps. I have a lot of respect for name acts that can play cohesively on a big stage. This is partly why you often read of artists missing the days of playing bars.

I've been in the audience at concerts where the majority of people clap out of time.
    The bands don't always notice, but I do, and it throws me off.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    I've been in the audience at concerts where the majority of people clap out of time.
    The bands don't always notice, but I do, and it throws me off.
    That's why you dance like that?

I don't dance...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.