Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance At Gigs

yep- the more demands you make on bands, like additional insurance, the higher those billing rates have to go.

I used to think this was a non-issue, but after what Happened to Cheap Trick's stage,
    I think that any big venue should require a contract with CYA for all parties.

We had to sign stuff when we opened for Alice Cooper at the Grove,
    but I honestly didn't read it because I was foolish, & somewhat loathe to mix art and Law.

That's kind of changed, now :P

If I recall correctly, about a year ago or so, there was some kind of a liability issue that cropped up in Vancouver when Paul McCartney played there. I don't remember the details, but it pertained to rooftop damage done to the venue by fireworks used as part of the stage show. The TV newscast reported that McCartney had been sent a bill for the damage. That's the kind of thing where I can see liablity insurance becoming an issue......not a bunch of weekend warriors playing private weddings.

The whole issue is, more likely than not, an outgrowth of the tragedy where patrons of a nightclub fire died after flamethrowers, used by the band Big White, got out of control and there were multiple deaths.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Call me crazy but the more I talk to my friends locally the more I am finding out that they would never go out without insurance. When I was first asked (recently) to provide proof of coverage I thought it was kind of crazy. Now I can see that if you are a band getting paid you absolutely should have insurance for any gig you play.