Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance At Gigs

Insurance At Gigs

I must say while on the interesting journey of my son's band, it has been a learning experience at every turn. Issues and items are popping up that I thought would not be concerns for years to come.

The latest one is insurance. Some places are asking us if we have liability insurance in case something happens while on a gig. I suppose maybe someone might venture too close to the trombone and have his eye poked out or one of my guitar strings could savagely cut someone.

But tongue in cheek humour aside, what I am also finding out is that this is a pretty standard thing among performers and it is not unreasonable for a venue to request proof of coverage.

In our case, we are fortunate because our band is affiliated with a registered non-profit and considered a professional performing ensemble under their umbrella. So people contact the non-profit looking for bands and we can be hired through them as an agent. As insurance concerns continue will will start to refer all of our paying gigs to the non-profit so we are insured.

So enough of my side, what I am really interested in finding out is how the other AxeTalkers deal with the issue of insurance for gigs. Do you get annual policies, per event insurance or just skipping it entirely?

dB

I don't gig, so I don't need to be covered, but people who I know that gig, or have gigged, recommend checking through the local musician's union--even if they're not a member.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Talk to your insurance broker. That's the place to start. Then call around and compare policies. Besides, the only one who needs liability insurance is the banjo player.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

I'm covered from an insurance perspective- curious what other guys do about this however...

I've never heard of a band needing liability insurance on a gig before. I wonder if it's typically as tough to get that kind of insurance as the kind that covers a band's equipment on a gig.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I've never heard of a band needing liability insurance on a gig before. I wonder if it's typically as tough to get that kind of insurance as the kind that covers a band's equipment on a gig.
    Same here. I wonder if they calculate the rates like the car insurance companies do - would a pointy Ibanez cost more than an ES-335 because it's likely to be driven faster and more recklessly?
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblooz View Post
    .......Would a pointy Ibanez cost more than an ES-335 because it's likely to be driven faster and more recklessly?
    LOL, funny!

I'm still trying to envision why a band would need liability insurance. Maybe a PA column toppling off the stage and nailing somebody......Or, the MC of an event uses your mike and gets a bad or lethal shock......Or, band volume is so extreme that there are multiple claims for hearing loss......

I guess a PA falling, someone wandering on stage and tripping on cables, falling and breaking bones, a defective amp arcing and causing a fire are all possibilities. As well as a band-brought light set causing a fire.

The chilling thing is that in the event that you were liable for a fire that caused a venue to burn down, you could lose everything for that stupid gig that only got the band a couple hundred bucks.

Believe it or not we were actually asked by one venue to provide evidence of Worker's Compensation insurance AND liability insurance.

You never know what drunks will do, and then decide to sue over.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

What entertainment promoters that hire bands are missing is the fact that insurance costs money, which inevitably results in entertainers charging more. I've heard periodically how expensive it is to hire bands......and insurance is one more reason it'll continue to cost more as time goes on.