Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have to do a quick change?

Ever have to do a quick change?

Watching a clip of the Doobies that I posted in the Weekend thread, it was interesting to watch Tommy having to switch guitars in mid-song. Ever had this happen to you?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Many times. I have also replaced a string mid-song, while the rhythm section played without me.
    Now I prefer to play the rest of the song (sometimes the whole set) without the string, and see if I can find the parts on the other strings. Or make up new parts.
    (No fun with a whammy bar, though!)
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I can remember playing bands as a young man when very few guys owned multiple guitars and nobody brought a backup when they were gigging.

There was a real incentive to be able to do super-fast string changes. Mind you, so many guitars were wearing .012's or bigger that you really had to work at it to bust a string.......

It took a control failure that made my EB3 go dead during a gig in a three piece band to convince me to take a backup bass. I finished that night with stuff hanging out of the body and pot extraction splices covered with scotch tape. By the next night, I had a Precision clone that I'd phoned down to Victoria to buy. I picked it up at the bus depot on the way to the gig two hours later (and tore my hands apart, lol). It was a nasty POS that was so heavy that I played it with a waist strap, but I always had it with me.....just in case.

What surprised me about the Doobies video I mentioned is just how smoothly and professionally the replacement guitar thing was handled. There wasn't the slightest sign that Tom was rattled by it. Showmanship at it's finest.

Watch Tom from 00:28 to 1:20.....

Doobie Brothers - China Grove (From "Live At The Greek Theatre 1982" DVD & CD) - YouTube
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Sorry, Spell. I'm not as impressed as you. It's just all-in-a-days-work as far as I'm concerned.

And he has 17 other guitar players to cover the part!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

One of my favourite changes was years ago. The drummer had a sweet SG that he kept behind his kit in case one of the guitar players broke a string. I broke a string and he reached behind his kit, grabbed the SG and handed it to me, OVER his drum kit, without missing a beat.

"Guitar tech? We don't need no stinkin' guitar tech!"

CLosest I came was having my strap knob fall out (No strap knob would have helped--the screw came out of the body) and two strings broke, so I had to use another guitar--but that was pre-song.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I never had to change a guitar mid-song on stage but I have had pick up and play a baritone horn mid-song while the guitar was still on my shoulder

I always bring a backup, otherwise, I just have to make due with whatever is there to play with.......jumping 8 frets for a power chord with a broken D is not fun!

I have had strings break during guitar solos, so I just keep on going and do some one-handed playing while I pick up the next one, wait for a bit of a "hooky" break somewhere, and swap cords with both guitars strapped on, works pretty well, and if you're doing it live, the audience usually thinks it's kind of cool (if you are playing rock/metal).

Probably now, I'd just have my wife bring me one mid-song and do the same thing.

I've planned for a lot of issues during a live situation.

Strap breakage....meh, I just pin the guitar my armpit till a break.
    Broken high E, I might even finish with that, same goes for B
    Amp blows up....that's a major catastrophe to be handled in punk-like fashion and a short intermission to see if you can go on without or Band-Aid it till the gig is over.
    Pedalboard Failure.......I have a special cable I yank out of the signal chain so I can bypass everything
    wireless failure.....spare cable
    ground issue......I have a few guitars with "yankable" grounding so I can remove the ground from the equation of the problem
    problem audience/fight........just turn it up to 12 and let em' have the biggest freakout since "Endless Nameless"
    - 1996 Fender Jag-Stang, EMG Pickups, EMG Pi2
    - 1998 Fender Jaguar, Seymour Duncan SCR-1B Cool Rails
    - 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (Bone Stock)
    - 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster, Home Built

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
    ...jumping 8 frets for a power chord with a broken D is not fun!...
    Only fun I get these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
    ...problem audience/fight........just turn it up to 12 and let em' have the biggest freakout since "Endless Nameless"
    Yakety Axe
    ...aaaand it's Benny Hill time!

Over the years I've had lots of broken strings-if it was near the end of a set I would retune and finish the set. I usually always bring a 2nd guitar and try to use the spare on at least 1 set.

I do recall a gig that was totally jinxed though, a light stand was knocked over and it broke 2 keys on the piano keyboard-right in the middle of the keyboard, the sound board fried and lost half of the channels, my amp fried, and I broke 2 strings during the same guitar solo!!

All I could do was tell the rhythm player to take it!!
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"