Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TOO LOUD!!!!

I have had a discussion, or debate with my Uncle (a phenomenal percussionist and teacher) regarding dynamics in today's music. We came to the conclusion that the majority of the current generation does not know what dynamics are. If you listen to music that has been made in the last 15-20 years, everything is loud! It has become a studio standard to over-compress tracks so that all instruments are of the same volume all the time until song fade out. You add to that 'Volume equalizers' in the kids ipods; another layer of compression so that one song sounds as loud as the next song... Then there's the over compression at the radio stations so they can sustain their volume wars and so on and so on.

Now, most musicians learn and build on what they hear. So we came to the conclusion that none of these kids are hearing any dynamics. How can you learn something that you don't know exists? All they hear is pedal to the metal until its time to stop.

MR, that could very well be the answer. Dynamics in many modern genres have all but disappeared and people play what they hear.

What disappoints me most is that many people don't understand that when you are playing with other guys, you are on a TEAM. It doesn't matter what instrument you play or what style of music. If all other musicians are moving away from you and holding their ears because of your volume, it should send you a very clear signal that you have a problem. That is not functioning as a team.

Dynamics allow us to do stuff like this-

or this-

Etc, etc, etc...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    MR, that could very well be the answer. Dynamics in many modern genres have all but disappeared and people play what they hear.

What disappoints me most is that many people don't understand that when you are playing with other guys, you are on a TEAM. It doesn't matter what instrument you play or what style of music. If all other musicians are moving away from you and holding their ears because of your volume, it should send you a very clear signal that you have a problem. That is not functioning as a team.
    That's the key right there when you're playing in a band, all the instruments have a space and save for a boost when playing a solo playing too loud can be irritating not only to the band but the audience as well.

In his case I bet it's immaturity as well.

One thing I have learned, and this may be one of my biggest strengths on guitar, is that I try to find my place in the mix of the instruments.

I had one friend who liked to fill holes in the song--so I'd leave holes for him to fill.

Another friend normally played very simply, so I could do some bigger or fancier strumming if the song called for it, but if it was a good spot for arpeggios I stayed out of his way-because he was good at those, and when it fit the song he'd throw them in.

As a guitar player I often try to hook in with the bass player as well.
    When I play bass I try to get the feel for which ever instrument is the main one-and also the drummer.

Although I do like to hear myself in the mix--if i can't it throws me off.

So monitors are cool.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I found some new earplugs.

For the musician who only wants the best gear!
    Hi-Def Earplugs Adjust To Noise Levels : Discovery News
    $500

Military Grade Ear Plugs Reduce Soldiers' Injuries - Bright Side Of News*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etyomotic blast plugs.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	3086  
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

If I was gigging those might be worth getting.

If I was in the Rolling Stones they might be worth getting.

I bitch when I lose my $7 ear plugs. No way I would be wearing these unless it was an endorsement.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

I bought packs of Hearos and put a handful in every case I own! I also bought some etymotic research ones...

A friend of mine just uses cigarette filters stuck in his ears. I tried it once when I didn't have plugs. They worked quite well!
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end