Thread: Noodlers

Noodlers

Noodlers. Are you one.....or do you only do it at home alone?

(Okay, have a laugh, and then move on. Nothing to see here, lol)

I think most players have noodling moments when they're playing at home.....Let's face it, that's how we often learn things....

However, in a band situation.... talking primarily rehearsals, but even gigging.....How do you feel about people who sit there and tinker with stuff when the band's between songs?

What brought it to mind was a comment from one of our players, who's the driving force in finding the right people and organizing rehearsals. What he said was "I'd like to have Harry come and sit in but the constant noodling drives me friggin' nuts". I have to agree. Harry's an exceptionally gifted keyboard player who's reliable , easy to get along with, and can play anything you throw at him.....But he'll sit there and play Chopsticks or something equally irrelevant at high volume constantly when we're trying to talk or tune between songs.

Would noodling affect your decision whether to ask somebody into a band?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I *try* to do it only at home, but sometimes my thoughts come out my fingers, usually when the rest of the guys are playing "Name the Band.". I sure don't do it at high volume, and not when we're discussing how to perform the song. I really try not to do it when performing, except to check my tuning and tone. I'd kind of expect the other players to follow suit. Constant noodling at high volume between every song during practice would *probably* be a deal breaker. The ones that*really* bug me are the ones that noodle *during* the song, *all through* the song and do it way too loudly and are too "in the way." *That* would be a *definite,* Feed-Em-to-the-Lions deal breaker.

While my preference has always been to be more of a rhythm player than the lead player--I noodle a lot when I pick up a guitar or bass--but only if nobody's really listening.

if I'm playing with others I may do a bit to warm up, but after that--very little, if any.

I had a friend I'd jam with--but we wasted a lot of time trying to get him to stop noodling--including removing the fuse from his amp.
    He was a very good guitarist--and much of his noodling sounded cool--but we were there to jam, not listen to him noodling.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Incessantly noodling between songs really irritates me during rehearsal- it simply wastes my time.

Sure we all run a scale up and down now and then, but sometimes guys will just keep going while we are trying to talk about form for the next song. So in this case I start counting the next song off to take them off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Incessantly noodling between songs really irritates me during rehearsal- it simply wastes my time.

Sure we all run a scale up and down now and then, but sometimes guys will just keep going while we are trying to talk about form for the next song. So in this case I start counting the next song off to take them off guard.
    I could see how irritating this could be if you're gigging, I've seen a few guitarists do this in between songs and it's specially bothersome if they start noodling on the following song.

Why can't these people simply check their tuning instead? Silently.

Thank goodness they are NOT noodling between songs when we are on stage- I think I'd have to drop someone from the band if they were doing that. On a paying gig this would be mortifying to me- you'd never be asked back.

Speaking of tuning, on gigs I use my Peavey Classic 30's overdrive channel set to 0 as a kill switch on stage for tuning between songs. I never use the OD anyway so having a silent setting is very practical.

That's a practical use for a lot of overdrive channels, dB! I'm not opposed to overdrive/distortion, I've heard some great examples in amps and I'll use it to the best of my ability, but I've heard some truly heinous ones in my day. My pedalboard's tuner automatically mutes during tuning, which is okay. I tend to trust my ears, so it's only okay.

Quote Originally Posted by edandis View Post
    ........I've seen a few guitarists do this in between songs and it's specially bothersome if they start noodling on the following song.......
    You make an excellent point. We had a lead player for about a year......a teenage kid who was an excellent player, but not very band-savvy.......who would reset his tone and play all the guitar hooks for the next song before we started. I eventually had to say something - Told him not to give away what was coming up.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."