Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Band woes

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    ...I've also played with people who are so skilled that it's so hard to play with...
    This is why it's good to teach, no matter how good you are, and play WITH your students. If a teacher actually jams or strums with his students, then he is naturally prepared for those occasions when a less skilled musician shares the stage with him.

You should be able to make music with any other musician (or civilian) who is honestly willing to give it a shot.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    A band is a team. Anyone who feels the need to show off to the exclusion of other band members is not as good a player as he purports- and is useless to the band,
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    This is why it's good to teach, no matter how good you are, and play WITH your students. If a teacher actually jams or strums with his students, then he is naturally prepared for those occasions when a less skilled musician shares the stage with him.

You should be able to make music with any other musician (or civilian) who is honestly willing to give it a shot.
    When I play with more skilled and experienced guitarists and bassist, I naturally do the rhythm work, as I let them lead and play. I enjoy doing rhythm work and the occasional licks. But most of the time, since they know a lot, they tend to do things that just don't sound like we are a band.. Like if the chord progression is a major sounding one, they would throw in some weird jazz chord that doesnt jive with my rhythm work, and it throws the whole song off.

But oh well, I just let them be. And I get reminded of the old adage, "just because you know it, doesnt mean you have to do it"

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    A band is a team. Anyone who feels the need to show off to the exclusion of other band members is not as good a player as he purports- and is useless to the band,
    I definitely adapt my playing to who I am playing with--on bass I play lower more often if there are keyboards-to stay out of their way.
    When playing guitar I adapt to other guitar players and other instruments as well.
    I had one friend I used to play guitar with a lot--he liked to fill holes int he song with little guitar lines and stuff liek that--so I gave them to him--he would probably take them anyway.
    ANother friend was not as good and so I could do a little more.
    they were both fun to jam with.
    Last edited by zontar; 08-07-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.