Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band woes

Band woes

I've been rehearsing with a band-in-the-making for a couple of months now and really enjoying playing again.

On Thursday (our normal practice day), I got a call from the rhythm player, the one who invited me into the band initially and who organized the practice events. He told me that the drummer (who owns the PA and the rehearsal space) had pulled the pin on the band. I knew the drummer had some concerns, but wasn't expecting anything radical to happen.

I feel somewhat put off by what's happened.....I recently bought a new speaker cabinet and another bass, plus just purchased a new bass amp which I haven't even had a chance to use yet.

This whole thing has really soured me on the band thing. As a matter of fact, it left me with enough of a bad taste about music that I've stayed out of guitar forums for several days. I know stuff can happen, but I'm now questioning whether I should just sell my gear and say no more bands.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Well I certainly don't think it is time to chuck it all with music because a drummer pulled out.

Can't the rest of the band just continue and find a different drummer? The fact that he had a PA shouldn't be such a big deal, I'm sure you could make do with something else unless you are already gigging actively.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    ..............Can't the rest of the band just continue and find a different drummer? The fact that he had a PA shouldn't be such a big deal, I'm sure you could make do with something else unless you are already gigging actively.
    It might or might not be a big deal to find another drummer. We've never had to look for one. It's been my experience over the years that there's generally one slot in a band that's tough to fill. When I was young, it was bass players. Later, it was competent lead players. Now, who knows?

There's a good possibility that the drummer from the last band I played in four years ago might be interested. He's perhaps less accomplished, but he was an easier drummer for me to play with than the most recent guy. The big positive is that he also has good practice space, plus the PA from the last band he played in is all there.

What really gets me down is that I spent lots of time practicing, getting my chops back, and learning material, and I feel a bit like I've been wasting time with this latest band. This past week, I typed oversize lyrics with chords and tabs for five songs I wanted us to learn. Not how I'd have spent my time if I'd known it wasn't going to happen.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Ah you know how it is. Easy come, easy go. Especially if it is a hobby band.

Sure you were really serious and put money and effort into it. But a fairly good drummer (with a good attitude) should be fairly easy to come by. I wouldn't let one guy who for whatever reason wasn't happy with the band torpedo you forever! Call the other drummer you know today and strike while the iron is hot!

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    ...He's perhaps less accomplished, but he was an easier drummer for me to play with than the most recent guy...
    This is the guy I would be hiring for my band anyway, if that's what my bass player said. A rhythm section is not a bass player and a drummer. It is two guys who enjoy playing together and lay down a pocket for the rest of the band to fit into.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    This is the guy I would be hiring for my band anyway, if that's what my bass player said. A rhythm section is not a bass player and a drummer. It is two guys who enjoy playing together and lay down a pocket for the rest of the band to fit into.
    +1!

Also the best drummers who are ones who lay down the beat and know their place. The only thing worse than a boorish drummer that tries to stand out is the same guy who can't hold tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Yup..........
    Go for it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I've been in a band for almost all my musical life. A church band that is. I've always enjoyed playing with a decent bass and drummers, who just know how to play well. I'm not really that good of a guitar player, but I know my place in the band, and I really try to play well with others so they would have a good time as well.

I've also played with people who are so skilled that it's so hard to play with. I'm still wondering why that happens a lot. I'm under the impression that if you're that good, you would know how to play and blend well with others, and given their skill, I couldn't catch up with them because of my not-so-good playing but I try to stay out of their sonic range and play decently.

Don't lose hope! It's really fun playing with other people, especially when you, as musicians, have bonded well and know what's in your head in just one look.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    I've also played with people who are so skilled that it's so hard to play with. I'm still wondering why that happens a lot. I'm under the impression that if you're that good, you would know how to play and blend well with others, and given their skill, I couldn't catch up with them because of my not-so-good playing but I try to stay out of their sonic range and play decently.
    A band is a team. Anyone who feels the need to show off to the exclusion of other band members is not as good a player as he purports- and is useless to the band,

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    A band is a team. Anyone who feels the need to show off to the exclusion of other band members is not as good a player as he purports- and is useless to the band,
    +1!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.