Thread: When is it time to find an agent?

When is it time to find an agent?

Just today it dawned on me that I might want to start thinking about getting an agent for our band. What I am not sure of is how much this limits me.

Any ideas about this? When is it the right time to start offloading the duties of dealing with bookings to someone else?

Certainly at this stage of the game, there is no reason at all to have an exclusive relationship with any agent. You can book your band yourself, deal with one or two agents, fill your calender.

Especially as you first start dealing with any agent, take time to get to know and trust each other.
    They need to know that your band will show up, that they will get good reports after the gig, and that you pay your commission in a timely manner.
    You need to know that the gigs are real, that there is never any double-booking or cancelled gigs without notice, that the gig was accurately described, and that you got paid without any hassle.

After a reasonable time (whatever works for you), you or the agent may approach each other about being exclusive. Or not. The only reason you would want to do this is if the agent really can keep you as busy as you want to be, and if the commission you are paying them is worth the time you save not having to deal with this part of the business. And if you trust him/her.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thank you- all good things to consider!

I'm definitely not interested in an exclusive agent at this point. My reasons for considering an agent at all are as follows:

1- we really need a new outlet for gigs- although the band is out and working I feel like my contact lists are getting stale and I am calling the same people over and over.
    2- cold calling for booking the band is extremely time consuming and when I am really busy sometimes I just don't have the time.
    3- although agents will take a cut, they would probably up our billing rate too which will make the band members happy.

I for one hate paperwork. Therefore I am lousy at it. When my agent books me, she takes care of all the paperwork. She earns her money, in my book. She also gets me tons more work than I could get without her. I play more gigs than I ever have, because I found an agent I trust, who trusts me to show up and do a good job, and to pay her her commission each month without a hassle.
    We are not exclusive, but we never go behind each other's backs. And I have brought many clients to her. It's a win-win situation, if there ever was one.
    But it is all based on honesty and respect.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

...and cold calling?
    Also not one of the fun parts of being a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I for one hate paperwork. Therefore I am lousy at it. When my agent books me, she takes care of all the paperwork. She earns her money, in my book. She also gets me tons more work than I could get without her. I play more gigs than I ever have, because I found an agent I trust, who trusts me to show up and do a good job, and to pay her her commission each month without a hassle.
    We are not exclusive, but we never go behind each other's backs. And I have brought many clients to her. It's a win-win situation, if there ever was one.
    But it is all based on honesty and respect.
    Could you please ask your agent if she has any agent friends in my area?

Okay.

When is it time to look for an agent?
    When they're lost...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Gosh,an agent. The clubs don't pay enough around here to justify that luxury !

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

I guess it is all how you look at it. As long as the band still gets a fair rate, it is worth using an agent because you are getting a gig you wouldn't have had anyway.

But the key here is that the band gets a fair rate...