Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Media

Social Media

One of the topics we've never actually discussed here is the importance of social media and how to promote a band or singer through it.

Admittedly I am not very good at this and after having our band's website up for 3 years, we only had 40 likes on FB going into last week. Last week we started taking some steps to increase this by inviting people to like the site thanks to my daughter, who certainly knows more about this stuff. So from 40 we jumped to over 130 in a week. Still a low number but it is a start. Dinosaurs like me that don't understand these things have to start realizing the importance, even if we really don't want to.

So let's open it up to the forum.

1. How important do you think social media is in promoting your band and are you active with it?
    2. What are you doing to increase your presence- any tips to give the rest of us?

dB

I can't offer much on this subject. I've never participated in any kind of social media.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Axellent Member
    Super important... not just for a band, but anything that you want to promote. Different platforms are great for different things. Instagram is great for showing people 'this is what we're doing right now!'. It's a quick way to get a picture or short video up and out to your audience. If you apply the proper hashtags, your instagram post can spread like wildfire. It's wise to find similar users and follow/like them and their posts. If they like you in return, their followers can now see posts that they like you and they will likewise follow and like your page/posts. Facebook can be used like a more detailed instagram and allows you to interact with your audience a little easier. If you do youtube, you can use facebook and twitter to promote your vid. you can use instagram as well, but your instagram post won't contain a live link, so your followers would have to copy and past. The key is to be constantly active on your pages to let your followers know your approachable and relevant.

I've never really understood this business of "liking" people's stuff, but if I was going to look at anything, it would be a YouTube video.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Axellent Member
    I've never really understood this business of "liking" people's stuff, but if I was going to look at anything, it would be a YouTube video.
    Liking stuff is like word of mouth. When you 'like' someones post, it shows the original poster that you enjoyed it or found it useful in some way. But more importantly, it shows the 'likers' circle of friends that you 'liked' the post. If anyone in your circle of friends has an interest in the post that you liked, they can like it as well, giving their circle of friends access to it and so on. This is the process of how something goes viral... because if enough people like your content, it will spread at an exponential rate, like a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    Liking stuff is like word of mouth. When you 'like' someones post, it shows the original poster that you enjoyed it or found it useful in some way. But more importantly, it shows the 'likers' circle of friends that you 'liked' the post. If anyone in your circle of friends has an interest in the post that you liked, they can like it as well, giving their circle of friends access to it and so on. This is the process of how something goes viral... because if enough people like your content, it will spread at an exponential rate, like a virus.
    The trick is finding out how generate the number of likes that will allow you to spread like wildfire! Like I said this is a world I don't really understand very well but I have realized that with a huge deficiency like this it must be addressed. Heck there are more people in the room at most of our gigs than we had in likes at the beginning of last week- something definitely wrong there.

Axellent Member
    A few things I have learned is to let the likes and followers develop organically. There are people that tell you that you should 'buy' likes to get on the map, and in some cases is a viable strategy (the more people that like your page means your higher in the popularity rating, which makes it more likely for your posts to show up in peoples news feeds), but to me this is cheating. I want the people who like my page to be there because they actually like my content. Also, consistency is big. you don't want to let your page sit dormant for months, then add content once a day for awhile, then lay dormant again. Use your platforms for weekly updates and new things you're working on. Be human... maybe show some rehearsal mishaps. Engage your audience... use your posts to ask them questions to get valuable feedback, get them to vote on a set list for an upcoming performance... that sort of thing. The most valuable thing for both facebook and instagram exposure that doesn't cost money is appropriate hashtagging. If you see #bigband in a post and click on it, then any post that's been tagged bigband will come up. You can use this to recruit followers who are searching for something you may have tagged. Limit it to 3-4 tags per post and make sure they're relevant tags.
    Lastly, put your shortform links on all you literature/ business cards. If you don't have a shortform link, PM me and I can walk you through setting one up.

A short form link will look like this...
    facebook.com/ReilanderPickups

instead of this...
    -https://www.facebook.com/Reilander-Custom-Guitar-278200148880747/

The likes will come in time as long as you stay consistent.
    Last edited by Mreilander; 02-27-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Axellent Member
    ...and put your link in the forum sig so we can like it

its very important!

Social media nowadays plays an important role in this generation. things like "have you seen this video?" or "_____ video gone viral".. its not like ordinary marketing. the whole world, maybe not the whole world but places who have access to internet CAN see it. the more people sharing, liking, the more people will be reached.

Here in the philippines, we already have actors/artists who got discovered on youtube, on facebook, etc. and now very popular.

My wife knows a lot more about social media and the workings behind it, she's more into IT/tech side.

but I agree about what reilander said. you have to engage people. its like the old days, but right now, you just sit on the computer and think about what relevant material to post and people will respond.

EDIT: on another hand, people win at elections here just for being famous on social media,. talk about influence.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I can't offer much on this subject. I've never participated in any kind of social media.
    Well this place kind of counts--it's the only form I engage in as well--and I'm younger than you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Mreilander View Post
    ...and put your link in the forum sig so we can like it
    Good idea for those here that are on Facebook--and links from other bands, companies, venues, etc can also help.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.