Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funerals

Funerals

A friend of mine contacted me asking if my son and I would be interested in taking on funeral gigs playing Taps.

It is one of those things where on the one hand one would hate to do something like this, bit on the other hand, it is important to friends and familes of veterans that Taps is played at their loved ones' funerals.

My goodness where the music biz takes us......

dB

I've been thinking about the funeral thing since this thread was posted. It's hard to imagine many funeral occasions where live music would be appropriate....Taps being one of the few exceptions, or (horror of horrors) bagpipes being played, which never seems right to me. As far as a band gig, other than playing Taps, what else would a band do? Do you play one song, and then wrap it up and move on to the next service? It just doesn't seem like a good fit for live music to me.

As an aside, I wonder if conventional funerals are less common these days than they were years ago. I haven't attended a funeral for family or a friend in over fifteen years. Most times, formal services seem to have fallen out of fashion in favour of less formal celebrations of life where ashes are scattered and people gather to remember the deceased.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Oh no, these are not band gigs. It is a one off where you play Taps for a veteran (and his family) and then you are done. I'll tell you tomorrow how it went...

We're back from the funeral- it is a lot easier than one would think. The military guys show you where to stand and what signal they will give for you to play Taps. We didn't go anywhere near the family and observed the ceremony from about 150 feet away while the priest was speaking, etc.

Although this might sound like a very strange kind of gig to play, it is actually very common for trumpet players to take these jobs. And it isn't ghoulish or anything either- the family had specifically requested that someone play live Taps.

That's not ghoulish at all. That's an honorable service.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Absolutely. You kind of have to be there to really understand

In our church, we do funeral services. and members of the music team go and play 2-3 worship songs, usually just 2 acoustic guitars and a bass or keys. very solemn. then the pastor would do a quick sermon and we're done.

We got our musical talents from our grandfather. He is a music teacher and a music conductor and we have a marching band family business, marching band is very popular here when it's the election season or funerals. My grandfather taught all the street kids in our province to play wind instruments and have been in the band ever since. There were a few that went their way and formed their own bands. So when my grandfather died, our band, and all those that he taught and formed new bands came, and played one of my grandfather's masterpieces. It was definitely not a solemn service. Me and a few of my cousins also set up our instruments, my electric guitar, bass and drums and we all played along with a hundred wind instruments bass drums, snares, cymbals. (imagine 3-4 marching bands with 20-30 members each) . It was definitely a loud send off to my grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    In our church, we do funeral services. and members of the music team go and play 2-3 worship songs, usually just 2 acoustic guitars and a bass or keys. very solemn. then the pastor would do a quick sermon and we're done.

We got our musical talents from our grandfather. He is a music teacher and a music conductor and we have a marching band family business, marching band is very popular here when it's the election season or funerals. My grandfather taught all the street kids in our province to play wind instruments and have been in the band ever since. There were a few that went their way and formed their own bands. So when my grandfather died, our band, and all those that he taught and formed new bands came, and played one of my grandfather's masterpieces. It was definitely not a solemn service. Me and a few of my cousins also set up our instruments, my electric guitar, bass and drums and we all played along with a hundred wind instruments bass drums, snares, cymbals. (imagine 3-4 marching bands with 20-30 members each) . It was definitely a loud send off to my grandfather.
    very cool!!!

It is best to do it in good taste...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Soething about this conversation is making me think about The Big Chill where a Rolling Stones song was used at a funeral.....I think it might have been You Can't Always Get What You Want.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."