Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigs Gone Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    But if they have rhythm--the congas can be real cool
    Big "IF". Problem is that congas seem to attract people that have no idea what they are doing and who figure that anything goes with a conga drum. There is some guy in my town who goes to community band concerts in the park and sits away from the band playing his conga drums, driving people crazy.

Well my experience has been different--heard some real good conga players...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm sure they are out there

Here's a gig really gone wrong- I think it was 4 years ago.

I needed a sub drummer and this musician guy I know tells me he's a great drummer- says all the right things that lead me to believe that he must know what he's doing. On the job the guy sets up his kit- looks good enough- he seems to have everything in order as a drummer would. I walk through the charts with him and he seems to follow along.

As soon as we start playing the first song the drummer is all over the place. The song is a simple 2 beat from his perspective but he's attempting to do fancy stuff but he's not keeping time and it is throwing me off on guitar badly. I try to right the ship by laying down a very obvious beat on the guitar with chops but he is simply not following me- he's not playing with me but against me. The disagreement in the rhythm section is clearly obvious and it is coming through to the horns who are now playing cautiously because they are not sure whom to follow. There is no question that the more discerning audience members can hear something is wrong.

The worst thing was I had to annouce the show to the audience. I was livid at the drummer and trying to smile to the crowd and hide my anger and frustration. It was a very tough set to get through and for a couple songs I actually told the drummer to take a break and that we'd play one without him now and then, other songs I told him to play brushes and no bass drum so nobody would actually hear him. Needless to say we never played with him again after this.

Luckily we've found some very good sub drummers since then.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I'm sure they are out there
    Oh I know they are out there
    Too bad you haven't seen more
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Oh I know they are out there
    Too bad you haven't seen more
    Maybe someday!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Here's a gig really gone wrong- I think it was 4 years ago.

I needed a sub drummer and this musician guy I know tells me he's a great drummer- says all the right things that lead me to believe that he must know what he's doing. On the job the guy sets up his kit- looks good enough- he seems to have everything in order as a drummer would. I walk through the charts with him and he seems to follow along.

As soon as we start playing the first song the drummer is all over the place. The song is a simple 2 beat from his perspective but he's attempting to do fancy stuff but he's not keeping time and it is throwing me off on guitar badly. I try to right the ship by laying down a very obvious beat on the guitar with chops but he is simply not following me- he's not playing with me but against me. The disagreement in the rhythm section is clearly obvious and it is coming through to the horns who are now playing cautiously because they are not sure whom to follow. There is no question that the more discerning audience members can hear something is wrong.

The worst thing was I had to annouce the show to the audience. I was livid at the drummer and trying to smile to the crowd and hide my anger and frustration. It was a very tough set to get through and for a couple songs I actually told the drummer to take a break and that we'd play one without him now and then, other songs I told him to play brushes and no bass drum so nobody would actually hear him. Needless to say we never played with him again after this.

Luckily we've found some very good sub drummers since then.
    Good thing he wasn't a Conga player...

Good thing he wasn't a Conga player...
    Ha ha. Probably would have been better with a conga. A bad drummer who tries to stand out can really sink a band

I can throw another gig gone wrong out there, but it isn't quite as bad as the one with the drummer.

Some years ago I hired a guy to sub on trombone and tuba. I knew he was primarily a trumpet player but he was also a band techer so he said he could play all. First thing he is unpacking and my son says to him "why are you playing a Bundy- don't you have a professional trombone?" Well my son was right because right out of the gate I hear this guy's tone on trombone and it is not good. I think to myself, this is going to be a long show.

Luckily although he wasn't a stellar player, he did at least keep up and it didn't end badly. The crowd probably didn't notice too much. My experience in general is that people who gig with student instruments are typically a red flag. That said, some pros do play with student level instruments for various reasons.

We, the musicians, tend to notice a lot more than the audience