Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigs Gone Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    We, the musicians, tend to notice a lot more than the audience
    Very true- and I am very particular

I may not have professional gigging experience, but from a worship service stand point or anything that Id have to take my guitar out and play, Ive had my fair share of experience.

To set things up, we used play three services, two in the morning and one in the afternoon

1. We were already on our last and final worship service, and we have at least an hour to prepare.. we were eating our lunches and resting, then this guy came along, a friend of our band leader for that day, and he said that he can do a better mix, and we all said, "anything that can make our sound better, let's do it!", finished our lunch and went to the stage to run through a couple of songs and him on the PA mixer trying to do his thing and we all sounded terrible. He told me I was too loud, okay, I set my volume down, bass was too low, so the bass player turned it up, drums up, keys up. and everything started squeeling from the house speakers. after 45mins of trying to get everything level, he was trying to get it back to where it was before, and he couldnt. And we all did our last worship service with feedbacks from the house speakers, singers cant hear themselves, the keys were too loud, bass too little, and I was just trying to blend in volume-wise, but Im standing out because my tele cuts through everything. Needless to say, we didnt let anyone touch the PA mixer once it's set.

2. Bass player wasnt feeling well and was not able to attend a worship service, luckily I also play bass, and I played on the first two worship service, and one stepped in at the last service and was not able to follow through with the songs. It was a hard 25min service to say the least.

3. I was the band leader for that day and apparently I was the only one who studied all the songs, and everyone was just looking at me, basically wanting me to tell them what to do, where the breaks and pauses are, EVERYTHING. leading was not hard, Im used to it, not having people to back you up and not learning their part was hard.

4. Band leader again for that day, half of my team were missing for the call time. We do have an early 8am call time for the 10am service, this is because a lot has to be set up, from the sound guy, down to the blending of mic volumes for the singers. we have two hours to prepare, run through a 25min service twice, to get all the kinks out, and get the breaks, pauses, everything right. that takes about an hour, and half of the band shows up at 930. 30 mins to get everything right, and most of them didnt show up at practice the day before telling me they'll be early and be there before the call time. I'm no Hitler when it comes to practices, I just want you to learn your part if you cant attend due to personal reasons, im okay with that, and we can all do it verbatim, or once we have a really good feel for the song, then we can improvise and do our own spin. but learn your part.

5. I forget a lot of things, cables, extra strings, and even my whole pedalboard. good thing we're just a few minutes away from church.

6. Bass player's strings were not in tune due to arriving late. we sounded terrible.

7. Drummer can't remember the speed of the song, and started the count waaay too fast, and ended up doing the song which supposed to be around 70bpm, into 120bpm. ( I think this is common? I have huge respect to drummers who can keep their beat and time without a metronome, but I have respect for those who are OC with their playing that they have a metronome despite being a seasoned player. I do my best to keep time, but I also sometimes commit mistakes )

There's a few more especially when our worship format changed from 3 services to 4 services a day. So 2 teams, one in the morning to do 2 services and one in the afternoon to do the last two. the more people, the crazier it gets. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallintheblues View Post
    Drummer can't remember the speed of the song, and started the count waaay too fast, and ended up doing the song which supposed to be around 70bpm, into 120bpm. ( I think this is common? I have huge respect to drummers who can keep their beat and time without a metronome, but I have respect for those who are OC with their playing that they have a metronome despite being a seasoned player. I do my best to keep time, but I also sometimes commit mistakes
    I've counted the band in way too fast on occasion too- luckily I don't do it often. One time we were playing the song "That's A-Plenty" which is a barnburner probably played around 200 BPM. I counted it in at like 252 or 260 and the poor horns were right on the edge of crashing during the entire song. Even great players can only play a song so fast before it falls apart. Luckily it did hold together but it was rather frenetic- and it wasn't really easy for me either.

I may not have professional gigging experience, but from a worship service stand point or anything that Id have to take my guitar out and play, Ive had my fair share of experience.

To set things up, we used play three services, two in the morning and one in the afternoon

1. We were already on our last and final worship service, and we have at least an hour to prepare.. we were eating our lunches and resting, then this guy came along, a friend of our band leader for that day, and he said that he can do a better mix, and we all said, "anything that can make our sound better, let's do it!", finished our lunch and went to the stage to run through a couple of songs and him on the PA mixer trying to do his thing and we all sounded terrible. He told me I was too loud, okay, I set my volume down, bass was too low, so the bass player turned it up, drums up, keys up. and everything started squeeling from the house speakers. after 45mins of trying to get everything level, he was trying to get it back to where it was before, and he couldnt. And we all did our last worship service with feedbacks from the house speakers, singers cant hear themselves, the keys were too loud, bass too little, and I was just trying to blend in volume-wise, but Im standing out because my tele cuts through everything. Needless to say, we didnt let anyone touch the PA mixer once it's set.

2. Bass player wasnt feeling well and was not able to attend a worship service, luckily I also play bass, and I played on the first two worship service, and one stepped in at the last service and was not able to follow through with the songs. It was a hard 25min service to say the least.

3. I was the band leader for that day and apparently I was the only one who studied all the songs, and everyone was just looking at me, basically wanting me to tell them what to do, where the breaks and pauses are, EVERYTHING. leading was not hard, Im used to it, not having people to back you up and not learning their part was hard.

4. Band leader again for that day, half of my team were missing for the call time. We do have an early 8am call time for the 10am service, this is because a lot has to be set up, from the sound guy, down to the blending of mic volumes for the singers. we have two hours to prepare, run through a 25min service twice, to get all the kinks out, and get the breaks, pauses, everything right. that takes about an hour, and half of the band shows up at 930. 30 mins to get everything right, and most of them didnt show up at practice the day before telling me they'll be early and be there before the call time. I'm no Hitler when it comes to practices, I just want you to learn your part if you cant attend due to personal reasons, im okay with that, and we can all do it verbatim, or once we have a really good feel for the song, then we can improvise and do our own spin. but learn your part.

5. I forget a lot of things, cables, extra strings, and even my whole pedalboard. good thing we're just a few minutes away from church.

6. Bass player's strings were not in tune due to arriving late. we sounded terrible.

7. Drummer can't remember the speed of the song, and started the count waaay too fast, and ended up doing the song which supposed to be around 70bpm, into 120bpm. ( I think this is common? I have huge respect to drummers who can keep their beat and time without a metronome, but I have respect for those who are OC with their playing that they have a metronome despite being a seasoned player. I do my best to keep time, but I also sometimes commit mistakes )

There's a few more especially when our worship format changed from 3 services to 4 services a day. So 2 teams, one in the morning to do 2 services and one in the afternoon to do the last two. the more people, the crazier it gets. Stay tuned.
    Hmm, never had any of those happen--some days go better than others though--and I am normally only playing one service--and not every week.

At our church retreats though we have a speaker who does two sessions on Saturday & one on Sunday--but those are shorter than normal services (Well at least the Saturday ones are)

Good thing though that in a church there should be grace for that kind of thing...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The PA mishap sounds like a real disaster. Luckily we almost never play with a PA and when we do the venue has a sound guy who knows what he is doing

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Hmm, never had any of those happen--some days go better than others though--and I am normally only playing one service--and not every week.

At our church retreats though we have a speaker who does two sessions on Saturday & one on Sunday--but those are shorter than normal services (Well at least the Saturday ones are)

Good thing though that in a church there should be grace for that kind of thing...
    Yup, there's grace. Its no biggie, some things just happen and you just have to be mature to handle it or just let it go. I've seen worse reactions by other team leaders. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    The PA mishap sounds like a real disaster. Luckily we almost never play with a PA and when we do the venue has a sound guy who knows what he is doing
    Only the main church has the big boys gears. We as a satellite church gets the small boys toys. only our drum set is the most expensive instrument, around 2k usd. the rest are pretty much left overs from the budget, but not overly entry level.

They all go through a PA, mics on drums, line out from bass and guitar amplifiers (which I thought it would sound better if i was just mic'ed up) and keys as well. we all have speakers for our monitors. so we're pretty rigged up.

we all have speakers for our monitors. so we're pretty rigged up.
    Pretty good- better than our typical setup

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Pretty good- better than our typical setup
    the more gear, the more complications though. LOL

the more gear, the more complications though. LOL
    Yeah I prefer to travel as light as possible on gigs- the more you play out the less stuff you want to carry

Yup, there's grace. Its no biggie, some things just happen and you just have to be mature to handle it or just let it go. I've seen worse reactions by other team leaders. LOL
    Not much else you can do other than keep going & learn
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.