Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band trials and tribulations

Band trials and tribulations

A few weeks ago, I responded to any ad from a band looking for a bass player. I got a call last Saturday to go for an audition. It turned out to be a gong show.....The regular guitar player wasn't available, so they brought in a replacement. Then the regular drummer jammed out, so a temporary drummer filled in. To make a long story short, it was a disaster. They weren't doing their regular set list...It was all songs that the replacement guitarist wanted to try, so it was mostly songs I hadn't practiced or hadn't even heard. The guitar player didn't bring an amp, so he was using a small Kustom amp that happened to be in the band room. He kept complaining that the amp played clean made his Gretsch sound like an acoustic, so he played all night with full-bore distortion. The replacement drummer was somewhat competent, but played everything so hard that it was difficult to hear the PA above him. At the end of the night, I packed up my gear thinking I probably wouldn't be going back.

I just got a call asking me to go tonight to rehearse with their regular lineup. I agreed, although I have some real reservations. These guys so far have been a parody of a bad high school garage band. I just feel like I should give this one more try before I call it quits. When I played last week, I used my Rumble 150 and the Traynor Neo15, but found the sound particularly unimpressive. I suspect the Traynor box is just not in a class with my JBL's, but on the off-chance it's the amp, I'll take my Twin Reverb tonight. Fingers crossed on tonight's practice, but really not expecting it to go well. I'm just about at the point of resigning myself to the idea that the band days are over and it's time to sell my gear.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Just because your band days are over is no reason to sell your gear
    At least not all of it
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

give them a chance, maybe the regular guys are really good.

Well, went to rehearse with them again last night. The rhythm guitarist is a lot more accomplished than the lead player, and he actually bothered to tell me what song we were playing and what key it was in, which helped. The drummer didn't show, so we played about three hours with no drums, but one of the people who dropped by to listen had his girlfriend with him and she's a fairly good drummer. At the end of the night, they asked me to come back again and I said I would. Still pretty unsure about this, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. By the way.....I used my Twin Reverb head last night and it's much better than the Rumble 150.

But more expensive

Still you already have it

I'd like either option

Glad it went better
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

What surprised me last night was how arousing it was to watch that chick behind the drums. Granted, she's hawt with long blonde hair, but watching her was probably the best part of the evening. I've felt the same way about girls with basses and guitars. Maybe I need to join a girl band.

Will you wear a wig?

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Will you wear a wig?
    No wig. I don't want to blend in - I just want to look at the girls.

Be careful with that

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Well, went to rehearse with them again last night. The rhythm guitarist is a lot more accomplished than the lead player, and he actually bothered to tell me what song we were playing and what key it was in, which helped.
    Well that's progress!

You gotta love those guys who don't know what key they are playing in and won't/ can't give you any information about the song except a count in. Happened to me all the time when I sat in with guitar players but I was playing the trumpet.