Thread: Some Gretsch basses-all extinct sadly.......

Some Gretsch basses-all extinct sadly.......

I found this website on an email that shows some odd basses from the Gretsch catalog. Why they had one called the bikini bass with a hinged body is beyond me.
    I'm sure that many of us guitarists also have a bass, I have an Ibanez Jazz copy that is perfect for my needs.
    Check them out and enjoy.

Six Great (Extinct) Gretsch Basses | Gretsch Post
    "Minister of useless trivia-that says it all!"

No real brand identity or continuity between models. The Guitar Dept. has a TK300 behind the counter with its high end stuff but I never really cared to look at it.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

It's pretty unusual to see Gretsch and bass connected as a topic. All everybody seems to care about is the big body guitar stuff.

I don't know anything about their current bass line (I assume they have one) but a while ago when I was looking at pickups for the Ric, I almost bid on a new Gretsch bass pickup on eBay. The only reason I didn't was the picture of the underside of the pickup appeared to have six threads sticking through.....which makes me think it might just be a Filtertron in different clothes.

Looking at the basses in that link, the one that catches my eye is the Broadkaster. It seems kind of weird (and strangely appealing) to see a Precison-styled body with a conventional pickup instead of that split pickup arrangement.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm liking the 7615.

Some of those were from Gretsch's "dark years"

but you're allowed to drool if you're so inclined...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I remember seeing a TK 300 in some small-town music shop in Northern Ontario and thinking to myself how weird it was to have built something like this - it really does look like something you'd see on the cover of a mid-50s jazz album - in the 1980s...I think the one I saw was new and had probably been hanging on the same hook for years. I also seem to remember it selling for some insanely-high price - $1,000 comes to mind. So...did Gretsch have some rich old matron who paid for rice and cigarettes when nobody was buying their paintings?

The 6235 might be cool for a novelty, but I have never really had any interaction with Gretsch basses. I was intrigued by the White Falcon because my guitarist had one (thought I'd get one to match), but at $3,300? Not worth it. What I've read about Gretsch basses generally is that they are very expensive and not really worth the money, but that is not based upon personal experience. Anyone love them?
    French Whore Named Babette
    www.fwnb.net

I'm still really curious about the Gretsch bass pickups. They look pretty cool...almost like a Ric toaster.....but I'd still like to hear a sound sample - And, I wish somebody in the know would share about the six screws that protrude from the bass plate. I'd really like to know if they're really just guitar Filitertrons dressed in different covers.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm New!
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    I'm liking the 7615.
    As do I. The only longscale pre 1980 I don't own. I hear its a tank - still want one.

I love Gretsch's "dark years"

Own a 1967 6070 Country Gentleman (year Baldwin took over - probably was already made)

1975 Broadkaster 7606 -

1978 Committee 7629

What I like is the high quality and how all 3 basses are radically different. Hollow body 6070, bolt on neck 7606 and neck and body solid construction 7629.

(as well as a 1968 pbass - have to own a Fender pbass if you gig a lot - guys hiring ask "own a pbass?" - "the only acceptable bass sound" - guitar players - fussy buggers. Having said that the guys I regularly play with have all come round and now prefer that Great Gretsch Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 7615 View Post

I love Gretsch's "dark years"
    Hey--you are certainly allowed--who am I to complain when I have a Norlin era Les Paul & a CBS era Mustang (late 70's/early 80's)
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.