Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EB project

My 63 originally had a Varitone rotary switch just ahead of the four pots. Not sure how the pickup switching was done originally, but a three-way switch now lives where the Varitone used to be. I've debated adding one again, since there's one living in my parts drawer that used to live in the big Tele bass.

I would have assumed that, being an Epiphone, yours would have had a bolt-on neck, but it's interesting that they were built both ways. I'm not sure whether it would be an advantage, but I'm guessing that if you're rebuilding one, it might be easier to deal with any issues if you had the ability to shim or space the neck, but more "Gibson-like" if it was a set neck.

I like the idea of the SG pickguard, KC. I wonder if an actual SG guard would fit the EB body, or if it'll need to be a custom piece.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Its got a bolt on neck. I.m OK with that. Like you said it makes it easy to shim if need be on the set up. I thought I would show this method I have for plugging screw holes. I cut regular soft dowel stock into short lengths & spin tapered plugs out of them with a 3/8 drill like a mini lathe. Then carefully tap them down into the holes. I cut them off flush with a razor then mix up some water base dye tinting it to as close to the desired color. & simply dab the color with a rag on the dowels. The dye penetrates excellent down an end cut like that. this is with one application. Now I can use any style tuners I want.

Pretty cool trick eh.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Just for fun, here's an EB3....

You can see the Varitone with the inset black surround and chickenhead knob, right in front of the volume controls. I still don't see any pickup switching though, which is weird. Is it possible that there is no switch, and it's just a matter of rolling the volume on or off for each pickup? Zontar, if you had an EB3 style bass, do you remember how it was done?

I also notice that the bridge pickup looks a lot like a standard size minibucker.

Mine was a copy--no varitone switch--a normal 3 way switch.
    I also removed the bridge cover & pickguard (I still have them though)
    The pickguard was removed to see the wood grain and because I play bass mostly with my fingers, not a pick.
    I removed the bridge cover--at first to see how it looked, but eventually, after putting it on & taking it off, I left it off, as it makes for faster string changes & I decided I liked that look better--but it's cool having the option.

If it's a bolt on you could even use the neck on a different body and make the body into a guitar--or 5/6 string bass or a baritone.

But I would stick with the bass, personally...

Here's my copy
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

The Baritone idea is something I never thought of. I might do something like that if I find another one. I believe that those EB3's have what they call a woofer tweeter system & are meant to be used as a blending system. A quick switch would be not very useful with a bass in my opinion but having said that I'm a guitar player who can play bass not just a bass player so what would I know. Lol. With the Varytone it would be a pretty versatile EQ. Looking at mine I have noticed that the tuner hole are too big to used a lot of the 2+2 tuners available & the ones I wanted to use are too wide for the headstock & would stick out over the sides. I have found so far one new set that is suitable but last night I stumbled across a mint stock used set that is open for bidding which ends on Wednesday. I think I will take a shot at those. Figures I would plug all the screw holes before I found them. Lol! That is a cool little bass Zontar!

Thanks.
    I love my first bass--I don't play it as much as I used to, getting into fretless bass & all--but I still have to play it sometimes.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm curious about your bass.....Anything happening? Rereading your thread from the top prompted me to bring my 63 out of storage....

P Bass pickups...
    Cool.

Thanks for asking Spell.In this heat wave we have been going through I have had time hiding out from the sun to put a lot of time into this project Its moving along very nicely. The body & neck are almost flawless now that I've wet sanded out all the flaws. I made a new truss rod cover out of some red tortoise shell scrap I had. The saddles are on there way from All Parts & I ordered these tuners from Stewmac Adjustable Tension Bass Tuner Set | stewmac.com
    I've pretty much decided to go with the Dimarzio DP 120 pickup. I know the results will be good & I like the look of the black cover. I plugged & dyed all the pickguard holes.I like the way it looks without a guard. I stumbled across these knobs quite a while ago & have been dying to use them on a project & this is it. I think I'll call this project Piglet. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's shaping up nicely. Since you're mainly a guitar player, do you find the idea of a short-scale bass appealing?