Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EB project

Yes very appealing. I have the feeling I will play this bass more then my Pre. Today I ordered my Dimarzio DP120 at a local music store they matched the best price I could get on Ebay so what more could I ask. It might take about a month to get it. I actually have to order the short scale strings for it which I found surprising. I shielded the control & pickup cavity & installed the CTS 500k control pots & new Switchcraft jack. Both the control cavity & pickup cavity are hooked together via a solid copper wire. Here it is the way it stands today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6503.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	3567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6505.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	3568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6506.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	3569  
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    That's shaping up nicely. Since you're mainly a guitar player, do you find the idea of a short-scale bass appealing?
    Although you weren't asking me--I don't know if I would see a connection.
    I have a short scale simply because of the options it's what my Dad though was the best option and I didn't object.

And in retrospect--I think he made the right choice for me.

But when I bought my fretless, I wanted a long scale.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm surprised that you had to order short scale strings, KC. Was that because they don't stock any, or are you looking for a particular brand or type?

When I got my EB3, it still had the original 63 flatwounds on it, that the original owner had taken off periodically and boiled, then put back on. It was pretty muddy sounding, particularly since it still had the original Gibson bridge pickup then. I picked up a set of Rotosounds and it did great things for the tone, although the original bridge (with no saddle adjustments) wouldn't intonate the roundwounds as well as the flatwounds. The bass got a lot more civilized with the Leo Quon Badass bridge and the addition of the second Precision pickup.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Went to Jason Lollar's site. He only makes Gibson Thunderbird pups.
    Thunderbird Bass Pickups
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

I'm surprised that you had to order short scale strings, KC. Was that because they don't stock any, or are you looking for a particular brand or type?
    I used to be able to get short scale strings easily---but the last few years very few stores seem to stock them
    Not enough demand they tell me.
    One store sued to get them in, and I'd buy them there as they were a good price.
    but that store was taken over by L&M.

And while I do like L&M overall, they don't seem to want to stock short scale strings & neither do other stores around here.
    I do have one set for my EB 3 copy for the next string change--but after that I'll be ordering online unless things change.

I do want to try tapewounds on my fretless as well (Long scale) and the tape wounds I can find in stores aren't the gauges I want--so I may be ordering those as well.
    I would buy in person, but in these cases I am forced to go online.

So I have no surprise at all the KC had to order them online.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Just out of curiosity, KC, what strings did you go with? My violin bass is wearing it's original strings, and the EB3's got whatever the previous owner put on before I bought it back, so I haven't had to buy short-scale strings in years. Disappointed to hear Long&McQuade doesn't carry them though because they'd be my first stop to buy new ones. (I do remember them having a pretty broad selection of bass strings when I bought the Rotosounds for the 4001, but I guess they were all long scale). I'm interested in trying the Pyramid Gold strings when it's time to redo my Gibson.

Just out of curiosity, KC, what strings did you go with? My violin bass is wearing it's original strings, and the EB3's got whatever the previous owner put on before I bought it back, so I haven't had to buy short-scale strings in years. Disappointed to hear Long&McQuade doesn't carry them though because they'd be my first stop to buy new ones. (I do remember them having a pretty broad selection of bass strings when I bought the Rotosounds for the 4001, but I guess they were all long scale). I'm interested in trying the Pyramid Gold strings when it's time to redo my Gibson.
    Maybe your local store does--but the one near me doesn't.

Hey, KC, does your Piglet have the front strap knob mounted to the back of the body at the neck heel? I was curious, because I would think that if it's a bolt-on neck, there's probably a neck plate. Does Epiphone relocate it? Looked at the picture you posted early in the thread, but can't see one.

The long & Mcquade in my town didn't have even 1 set of shortscale bass stings in any brand but the one in the next town had a few but there was not a lot to choose from that's for sure. The strings I am going with will be Rotosound's One of the reasons may be strange to some but I hate seeing those colored ends on open bridges. They look out of place to me. Why would you have to color code bass strings I have no idea. Its pretty easy to tell which string is which when they are that big. Lol. I have liked the results I have got from Rotosound's in the past. This model has a bolt on neck & I will put the button on one of the top screws on the neck plate. I bet those Lollar pickups are excellent. If this bass was worth more I would be interested in investing that much. Maybe down the line if I get an EB3. Thanks for looking that up though Hu I never thought of checking him out about those.
    Great Guitars Are A Formula Not A Logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletcaster View Post
    The long & Mcquade in my town didn't have even 1 set of shortscale bass stings in any brand but the one in the next town had a few but there was not a lot to choose from that's for sure. The strings I am going with will be Rotosound's One of the reasons may be strange to some but I hate seeing those colored ends on open bridges. They look out of place to me. Why would you have to color code bass strings I have no idea. Its pretty easy to tell which string is which when they are that big. Lol. I have liked the results I have got from Rotosound's in the past. This model has a bolt on neck & I will put the button on one of the top screws on the neck plate. I bet those Lollar pickups are excellent. If this bass was worth more I would be interested in investing that much. Maybe down the line if I get an EB3. Thanks for looking that up though Hu I never thought of checking him out about those.
    I've been int eh L&M in Abbotsford--next one over is Chilliwack?
    I was in the old Chilliwack L&M closet--er store.

Okay I know they have a new one--any better?